• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How common is smoking in the cockpits?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It usually only takes one Carcinogen to kill you. It is a game of probability. If we were omnipotent, we could trace cancer to the single event that caused it. For smokers, that means the one cigarette that killed you. For second hand smokers, it means the one person who killed you by lighting up.

I worry because all deaths in my family have been caused by cigarettes. My dad died from lung cancer. To me, this means I am genetically more likely to develop cancer from second hand smoke. If I am jumpseating, it is their cockpit. If I am working, I don't like captains lighting up with me in the cockpit.

Yea, guys used to smoke on the TriStar. Most went down in the EE compartment below the cockpit. The first time a Captain shook the yoke while down there scared the h*ll out of me. Sometimes FAs would come up to smoke too. I think three in the compartment was the most at one time.

Once, when both the Captain and the Engineer wanted to smoke, they asked me to go back to the cabin to check that the landing gear indicator "pucks" on the wing were in the proper position. It took me a minute, but when I figured it out, I told them it would take me between 10-15 minutes to do that. They were pleased with that response and again when I offered to do it again several hours later.

I'll never forget those days...

Haven't seen it in 15 years or so. We used to have a guy who needed to burn one every hour or so. But he's been retired for a long time. Died at 62.

BTW, its NOT illegal for the crew to smoke. Just the passengers.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back