How common is smoking in the cockpits?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fernando

I know its illegal but i was wondering if, in real life, is it common that some pilots at major airlines smoke in the cockpit?

Um....no. I dont know anyone that does or has since the rules changed a long time ago.

Second, I find it hard to believe that this post is a serious post...

Maybe in foreign countries or freighters, where nobody cares or is watching it may happen, but in the cockpit of a major airline in the US I have never seen it or even heard about it...

Ive seen it in the cockpit of US airliners for 3 different airlines. (1 a major)

It is NOT illegal by regulation. When smoking was banned on Pax jets, the cockpit was specifically exempted. Check the reg. Some companys added a note in their operating manuals that created the reg, but its not a federal rule for the cockpit, but can be a company rule.

Cheers
Wino

from what I've seen and been told (hangar talk wise) it seems the older your pilot group the better chance you may have of seeing someone smoke in the cockpit. I know of one boeing size airplane charter operation that has many early retirement "older - good ol' boys" that tend to do this alot. I've been told of shorts guys back in the old Suburban days that smoked - easy their, just open the window. Few ABE guys used to do it from time to time in the dash but you had to regulate the out flow valve just right and only get 1 or 2 puffs before putting the cig out. kind of a waste.

Pop a window while taxing....seen it done at 2 airlines!!!!!

I was jumpseating on a UAL flight about 5 yrs ago. On the pushback and taxi out the capt was burnin 1 with his window open.

During cruise he pulled out a pack of smokes, asked the FO and me if we minded if he lit up. We both said "go ahead". He lit up.

On approach, he had an unlit cigarette in his lips, and while still on the runway, he opened the window and lit up.

So in short....I have seen it happen once in many years of jumpseating.

Latest resources

Back