How about non aviation forums?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
I'd love to talk about aviation...there's lots to discuss, like...

RJDC?

Ailerons...rectangular or oval? You decide.

Cockpit seating arangements...should we move the captains side of the plane to the right hand side, so helicopter pilots don't feel like the odd balls?

How bout those pilot hats?

Pay For Training?

Pay for Jobs?

PC desk top flight simming in the nuclear age?

How to make rammen noodles for 6 as a 7 year career regional f.o?

What kind of flight bag stickers do you have on YOUR bag?

Should I fly freight in a death trap piston twin for some scarry operator for poverty wages or fly freight in a Caravan for 40,000 a year to start?

Which type should I buy, the 727 or the 747? Money is no object!

10 day instrument courses...do they really turn out quality IFR pilots?

ERAU vs. UND?

Can someone who pursues ratings through an FBO ever realize his dream to make 15.5K a year to fly for the regionals without PFT to help him along?

How about those single slot, electrically operated flaps? Good, Bad or indifferent?

My employer is having me fly a trip tomorrow, is it part 91 or part 135?

Do these uniform slacks make my ass look fat?

Pukka shell necklaces and slip on shoes? The metrosexual look on the flight deck...should it be allowed?

I'll take F.O.s complaining about captains for 100 dollars please!

Can I wear an airline style uniform while flight instructing at a non-part 141 flight school? My coworkers wear jeans and I am tired of them laughing at me. Their lack of professionalism is appaling!

I signed a one year employment contract at my 135 job and they paid for my type when I up-graded to captain...should I hose over my employer and everybody else that will come to this job behind me by taking that 16K a year regional job at Colgan, or should I stick to my word and serve out my year?

How can you tell if your co-pilot is gay?

Do you think that elevators should be renamed escalators?

Should pilots make enough money to own NFA firearms and a reliable car at the same time?

How about them Skyways pilots sleeping in the MKE terminal? Just because they got away with that homeless lifestyle at their last job, should they be allowed to get away with that, or should they be allowed to check into the shelter?

My EFIS is bigger than your EFIS!

Captains and FO's duke it out on the ramp...Fight fair or fight to win? What's your technique for winning a scrap on the ramp?

Your FO sings the lyrics to "FUNKY TOWN" while hand flying ILS's...how do you get him to change his tune? (Assume the captain prefers Rammstein, Radiohead and Rob Zombie).

I saw my Captain go into the crapper and take a big country boy dump, he then left the lav without washing his hands...how do I tell him that this practice annoys me, without clueing him in that at my previous job with McDonalds, hand washing requirements and techniques were posted right on the bathroom door for all employees to see?

Whoo boy, that's enough aviation chat for me...time to go make lunch and get ready for my next college class. That means a 5 week break for you guys starting tomorrow!
From what I can tell, you're free to start a thread on any or all of those topics. Why don't you? See what kind of participation you get.

Do you want the moderators to force participation, too?

People talk about what they want to talk about, and they don't talk about what they don't want to talk about. If they don't talk about what you want to talk about, oh well. That's life.

And I didn't invest my $XXX.xx dollars to just talk about PFT, strikes, scabs and other stuff. I invested it to talk about aviation, ie the DC-6. But I will not run away from any chance to throw the old story of the gospel out. I am the same way on the flight deck, ask me a question and I will tell you the old, old story. Say your not interested, I will shut up and let things fall where they may. The point I was making is that just by the volume people must be interested or the post would just die. I think the moderator feels the same way. I have hundred of post that I do not mention one thing about the gospel but talk aviation. The problem is that you just keep saying the same thing over and over again. I should just say "read post 145" as the same questions just keep coming up. Maybe they are legit, but whatever. BTW it was the 4000 gravel strip at Togiak, I found my beat-up sectional in the garage.

Same here.

99% of the people I have flown with have not even a clue about what my beliefs are on MOST subjects. If they ask, or make some other kind of declaration, we talk. If they don't want to talk, we stop.

It's simple.

Anyone who wants to share some more accounts of flying vintage aricraft, like the B-17 for example, are more than welcome to share their story. I'll be happy to ask some questions, myself.

"And I didn't invest my $XXX.xx dollars to just talk about PFT, strikes, scabs and other stuff. I invested it to talk about aviation, ie the DC-6. But I will not run away from any chance to throw the old story of the gospel out"...."The point I was making is that just by the volume people must be interested or the post would just die."
What you say is all good...I don't care if guys want to argue about politics or religion, union vs. non-union, pft or not-pft. We have a great place to vent and blow off steam without having to get a rift going at work.

I did put my 20 bucks in the hat this year and I will pay money again next time around. I think there are alot of guys that are posting here that are riding on our shirt tails by not helping out the forum with its operating costs. Helping to keep the board afloat is like actually going down to the polls to vote. If you don't vote, you have no right to biatch about who is in office.

I realize you put some of your hard earned cash into helping the board out. I respect you for that...and I believe you have a right to speak your mind. Those that haven't helped out...don't really have a say.

Diesel, I for one certainly appreciate the "if the moderator's actually moderated..." mantra :rolleyes: , but as I said before, we moderate as we've been told to do.

If you want an "other topics" forum (and a subsequent tasking for the moderators to move threads into it), ask the Webmaster. He'll do it if he wants to.

Right now, I am happy to report that I actually am doing my job.

By the way, did you contribute bucks to the board this last go around? If so, "sarcasm in error." If not, hmmmm...

(heck, we shamed the General into it...:) )

My parting shot

I'm all for a hands-off approach to moderating if we could act like responsible adults.

But as I've said there are a few individuals who have used this forum as their personal soapbox--BUT--that wouldn't be so bad if they happened to post more about aviation than otherwise.

And Timebuilder, we've had words but I'm not only thinking of you.

Diesel is right, it's not censorship. It's about having the good sense to recognize the time and place for such topics.

I know in the past the moderators have deemed the General subjects forum basically a free for all. And I'm cool with odd off-topic post. But this site remains *primarily* aviation oriented.

If you can't keep your postings *primarily* aviation oriented then I'd respectfully ask you to go tie up someone else's website.

I think it's a reasonable request.

I think I speak for many others who have resigned themselves to the fact that they must sort through crap to find an occasional gem.

I know this because I have already received some PMs empathisizing with me and offering suggestions for alternate BBS.

The way I see it, the board members could take the high road and keep the discussion real professional.

But since my last plea was largely ignored (and probably inspired even more off-topic posting) that leaves it to the moderators.

Send the pot-stirrers out back with the dogs. They can pee on each other all day long out there.

I'd be willing to bet that far more than 80% of my posts, and ALL of the posts I start, are basic aviation stuff.

As much as some posts are annoying to me, I'm happier that they are there than somehow "prohibited." Maybe we can encourage the individual thread starters to ask genuine questions or share current ideas that are important to all of us.

Ooops. I did start a thread titled "computers." Sorry. :)

Last edited:
Ooops. I did start a thread titled "computers." Sorry.
Hahaha...shame on you!
Send the pot-stirrers out back with the dogs. They can pee on each other all day long out there.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Because this is a pilots forum, we don't have anybody else here to beat on but ourselves in order to take out our frustrations...

Can't take it out on our coworkers, can't take it out on our kids (we'll, maybe a red headed stepchild you could...), can't take it out on wives or ex-wives. Maybe we should have a dunking tank, where you can rent some softballs and throw them at a target and dunk the person in the cage. We would use guest victims like John Q. (airline passenger) Public, Airline Execs, Politicians...etc.

It would be a great way to vent off some steam AND take out our aviation frustrations...and a good fundraiser for the forum.

This isn't about censorship or moderation. What we are asking of the webmaster is to just make another forum for NON AVIATION RELATED STUFF.

That way if you want to talk JESUS or anything else that has nothing to do with AVIATION you can talk there.

This isn't some sort of crazy request. It's a request to clean up and seperate between the non aviation interests and the aviation interests.

Eagleflip as I said in my email you are not moderating. You have a laise fare (sp) aproach. While that might work in a normal society the interenet is not a normal society. It is people hiding behind screen names and flight times. We are not accountable for our actions here.

A moderator doesn't have to steer a conversation one way or another. Their job IS to clean up the general board. it says general aviation stuff on the forum topic. Where does jesus, van hallen, and politics fit in the general thread.

Why is it so hard to create another forum and just put all the non aviation stuff into that? You are NOT censoring you ARE organizing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back