• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Houston Mayor OK's Hobby International for SW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure you do. How many United positions are gone because of that 380 going into Houston? How many united positions are gone because of that Aer Lingus deal? That is just the code share part of your problem.

I'm saying that the 380 is a good thing!! It not coming is a BAD thing. You were trying to suggest I should thank GK for making it less likely the 380 come to IAH. That is an INCORRECT thought process. I want more airlines and more customers and more competition at IAH. K?

Did you not get this whole argument? We wanted more cometition, you didn't...

Yeah, but you didn't want real competition. You wanted competition only on turf that you already dominate. Speaking of weak. Has it occurred to you that deciding what airports to serve is part of the airline competition?Pretty basic part of the business man. Again, ridiculous we were forced to make our case at all. Did you see SAT or AUS holding such hearings?

Last edited:
Amazing that we had to go through all this for the right to build a $120M terminal that the city will now own.
Flop, the consequences you predict sound like hyperbole- a bit blown out of proportion.

And don't forget that it's that same CEO's plan to blame Southwest for your next paycut too. Question is, will you fall for it? So far, you have.

I just can't believe you guys paid for your OWN terminal. Usually you move in to one after a legacy builds a new one.... Welcome to the legacy club.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I can't believe this has happened so readily, and that SW is gonna spend that kind of money to make it happen. $120M is more than SWA used to gut, er get, ATA, by far.

I'm sure the city is now interested based on the fact that UniTedintal has moved its HQ to Chicago, and service is IAH is getting limited. Nothing new coming in. The trick is to bring in those that O/D from/to the northern burbs. This definitely good for HOU (future charter airline operations to the 5th gate?) and probably the city as a whole, particularly on the south side.

This will be fun to watch. From afar.

I just can't believe you guys paid for your OWN terminal. Usually you move in to one after a legacy builds a new one.... Welcome to the legacy club.

SWA built their own terminal in STL and ISP. They also built the addition to their terminal in PHL. So what they are doing in HOU is nothing new.

Hat's off to Gary kelly. He did it.

For purposes of this argument, I acknowledge it's a big win for SW and a huge loss for CAL/UAL. However, I'm pretty sure the City is eventually going to feel let down. The widebodies and the 787 are pbly headed to the Coasts. The next company like Exxon, that chooses to centrally locate somewhere, will choose somewhere other than Houston. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Exxon calls it off the Woodlands headquarters right now. The City will try to attract more non-US carriers to IAH, so, that will suck.

I think you are down playing the significance of Houston as important trade city due to its geographical location. The Port of Houston is the busiest US port for foreign tonnage, second busiest US port overall and 13th busiest in the world. Aviation makes trade faster and more convenient. But I don't think the world economy revolves around it. I don't think SWA taking spring breakers to Cancun is going to have that much of a global impact on Houston's importance to the country and it's foreign trade partners.

Latest resources

Back