• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Houston Mayor OK's Hobby International for SW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, but you didn't want real competition. You wanted competition only on turf that you already dominate. Speaking of weak. Has it occurred to you that deciding what airports to serve is part of the airline competition?Pretty basic part of the business man. Again, ridiculous we were forced to make our case at all. Did you see SAT or AUS holding such hearings?

That's pretty darn funny! Yes, the competitiion at IAH is not real... It's pretend. Seriously?

Weak, eh?
Hmm-
Go on with your anonymous self-
Who made a mockery of anything? I know who we have working here at SWA- and GK is the leader and strongest of a team and family of strong players.
But youre strange analogy is not my point -
It's weak that government was involved this much at all.

IMHO, you're an insult to what he did and who he did it for. You don't deserve a CEO that good if you can't see it. Here is the deal: GK knows this still is not over (although even I will acknowledge that GK will get it done). This still has to pass the City Council officially, then the FAA could get involved. And they might say no. I know its hard for you to imagine our govt (BTW: get ready for other govts as well) getting involved in our industry, but that's how it goes. I realize SWA was launched off a napkin and had it's original operating authority granted on a one page letter from the state of Texas, but that's not normal. If he starts acting like you, this deal is over before it actually gets started.

Last edited:
Sure you do. How many United positions are gone because of that 380 going into Houston? How many united positions are gone because of that Aer Lingus deal? That is just the code share part of your problem.

Those two things are vastly different. Forget it. You don't understand.

I think you are down playing the significance of Houston as important trade city due to its geographical location. The Port of Houston is the busiest US port for foreign tonnage, second busiest US port overall and 13th busiest in the world. Aviation makes trade faster and more convenient. But I don't think the world economy revolves around it. I don't think SWA taking spring breakers to Cancun is going to have that much of a global impact on Houston's importance to the country and it's foreign trade partners.

Allright. we'll see. I don't think the City can expect anything but being let down on the other side of this. Big airplanes and new direct destinations? I think Houston just dealt themselves out of any of that.

BREAKING NEWS...

Gary Kelly at Pizza Hut caught carrying out 10 pizzas to go. When asked what for he replied with a very curt "Southwest does not comment on future bribery".

On a related note, a Budweiser hauler was spotted at the loading dock of Houston City hall.
Our reporters tried to obtain the actual order page from the shipment, but were politely referred to the SWAPA communications department.

Looks like Business as usual over at Southwest.

BREAKING NEWS...

Gary Kelly at Pizza Hut caught carrying out 10 pizzas to go. When asked what for he replied with a very curt "Southwest does not comment on future bribery".

On a related note, a Budweiser hauler was spotted at the loading dock of Houston City hall.
Our reporters tried to obtain the actual order page from the shipment, but were politely referred to the SWAPA communications department.

You are such a Liar, Everyone knows 10 Pizza Hut pizzas will not fit in a 911. If you would have read the whole thread, you would know GK drives a 911!

Later,
KBB

BREAKING NEWS...

He's a coward and ignores me- so can somebody ask Bill if he shouldn't be selling out larger jets instead of posting stupid things about Swa. It's difficult constantly selling out RJs in new and creative ways. But DALPA pilots are good at it. One should should stick to what their good at (selling out) and let go of what they are not (trying to clown SWA- not that funny- tired joke)- so says Buddha.

Those two things are vastly different. Forget it. You don't understand.

I understand as well, and think you're just dodging the argument.
Things do get confusing when your airline has been outsourcing so long in such complicated ways. Stockholm syndrome you start to think you need the outsourcing

The major issue for United is staffing. The federal government is in the middle of a spending/hiring freeze. The custom facility at IAH is already short staffed(this is a nation wide problem, EWR during peak times is over 50 officers short). It is not uncommon for our pax. to wait over an hour to get through the whole process already.

We have already been told by ICE that staffing for HOU will come from IAH. IAH has already taken officers from the port. So that is no longer an option. With the decreased staffing levels. United will be forced to cut flights over peak international arrival periods. Or face two plus hour lines through customs. You can imagine the back lash from the customers who are missing their connections!

To compound the problem United is spending almost a billion on a new custom facility at Terminal B. This will make the staffing issues even bigger!

I guess we will all wait and see.

Well, I don't like govt delays in IAH anymore than I'd view it as an excuse not to serve Hobby.
Govt has a role and responsibility to work efficiently when they are the ones requiring the facilities.
I'll stand with you to help get govt more efficient

Latest resources

Back