Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Duh OHARE

erj-145mech said:
Pud knocker, the last three words of your post are correct.

Count the number of taxiways. I'd bet it is more than 26, the number of letters in the alphabet. So you're going to have more than one letter anyways, so you use a system that is expandible, as is the rest of the airport.

A-Z then AA AB AC AD, not the whole effin airport!

dik knocker!

-Goo

For all the CoEx and CAL guys and girls it's probably no big deal, but for those of us who don't frequent IAH that much it can really catch you off guard.

Somebody mentioned above about getting taxi instructions while still in reverse. That's always fun trying to figure out which way to initially turn off the high speed while still slowing down.

Oh well, just look at the airport diagram before you get there and you should be fine.

whiskey zulu zulu

"Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P." - Robin Williams as Adrian Cronauer

...Sorry I couldn't resist and this seemed appropriate...

I get it. W is for west, N for north but I'm not that dense that I don't know the difference between north and west and don't really care for the double letter taxiways. We've got 26 freakin letters in the alphabet and for more than 26 taxiways, frankly I think the older A1, A2, etc. ones were much easier to read, say, yadda, yadda...

Hmmm Maybe you could read the airport diagram before you land and have a taxi plan before you get there. Although I know for a Mesa pilot it would be asking alot. Just explain to the passengers " If there are any" that you havent figured out the alphabet yet so there could be a slight delay on the taxi.

inthegoo said:
A-Z then AA AB AC AD, not the whole effin airport!

dik knocker!

-Goo

Then hurt my feelings and don't come down here.

If you're unable to adapt to a simple concept as taxiway identification, how do you adapt to an unusual condition in flight? Sit back and bitch about it?

Go Back To Your Wrench!

erj-145mech said:
Count the number of taxiways. I'd bet it is more than 26, the number of letters in the alphabet. So you're going to have more than one letter anyways, so you use a system that is expandible, as is the rest of the airport.

WRONG!

It's 21 Taxiways!

Yup I think maybe it is small dik complex,

So I was back at IAH this last thursday, I asked the controller who came up with the stupid 2 letter deal, and he said angrily, "someone who did'nt have to say it 5,000 times a day!"

Once again George Bush makes no sense!

-Goo

The taxiway letters are one thing. Do controllers not realise that transport jets usually climb to 1000 ft before turns. Last twice I've taken off runway 15 they start screaming that I'm not turning fast enough for them and I'll be violating Hobby airspace. Is this "sharp turn" request written anywhere??

If pilots hate it and controllers hate it, maybe it is a bad idea. Not that it will ever change though...

rnobson said:
The taxiway letters are one thing. Do controllers not realise that transport jets usually climb to 1000 ft before turns. Last twice I've taken off runway 15 they start screaming that I'm not turning fast enough for them and I'll be violating Hobby airspace. Is this "sharp turn" request written anywhere??

1000' to make a turn isn't what is used by COA or COEX in VFR conditions, so earlier turns are probably what the controllers at IAH have become accustomed to.

Latest resources

Back