• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Houston Iah Taxiway Lettering Wtfo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why so many letters for taxi ways? Because "Everything's bigger in Texas!" or so they say. I think they suffer from small dick complex myself.

everything is bigger in TEXAS

Hey Captain Over, come on down to IAH and I will show you who's is bigger. Welcome to the United States of Texas.

If you learned to read in school, this would not be a problem.

Someone told me once that it was to meet the ICAO standard and make it easier on all the international carriers. Don't know if that is true. Leave to the europeans to F everything up.

To all th FO's bitching on here, get a pen and paper and write it down. Sheesh!

I've been flying through IAH for 7 years or so, and I still get the taxiways all screwed up. Too many letters, too many frequencies just to get to the freakin' runway. I think it's even worse than Detroit now... and are they ever gonna finish the construction there at Spot 1, next to the old cargo ramp?

Yesterday however, I saw something that just made my day; an FAA or DOT Citation, N3, was trying to taxi to Trajen after landing 26R. He got lost, made a few wrong turns... finally the ground controller said "N3, just stop right there!" A minute or two later he gave 'em progressive the rest of the way home. I thought it funny to see an FAA flight crew get lost on a bright, sunny day at that mess of an airport.

The first time in thier they started giving me the taxi instructions as the reversers were deploying. I took the first exit and quickly got yelled at. NW to NZ to NED to XC to DF stop at the old tower then FC left TS to ST. I had no idea what was going on and was quickly told to follow the caravan to parking.

Thats what I'm talkin about.

Saab guy said:
Hey Captain Over, come on down to IAH and I will show you who's is bigger. Welcome to the United States of Texas.

If you learned to read in school, this would not be a problem.

Sorry about your "Small dick complex". I didn't mean to strike a nerve, but it seems I have.

??????? W T F

Captain Overs said:
Why so many letters for taxi ways? Because "Everything's bigger in Texas!" or so they say. I think they suffer from small dick complex myself.

?????????????? -- WTF, OVERS!

inthegoo said:
If its so great, then why the F doesnt every airport do this?

A-Z would do just fine, am I wrong?

-Goo

Pud knocker, the last three words of your post are correct.

Count the number of taxiways. I'd bet it is more than 26, the number of letters in the alphabet. So you're going to have more than one letter anyways, so you use a system that is expandible, as is the rest of the airport.

Latest resources

Back