• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Houston Area Merlin Copilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its now "unfortunate" that I have never flown for free????

Who's the moron here?

guess Im missing something.

anyways...this is old and we are simply not on the same page (or book for that matter) and thats OK.

"BITE ME" ????.....um....OK....???

nonetheless - good luck to ya!

Last edited:
Perhaps we are not on the same page. I appreciate your ending tone. It showed some class.

Good luck to you too,

MJ

This is hilarious. It never fails, there are a certain amount of high and mighties out there that are just looking for the chance to scrutinize something like this. The whole "i'm not working for free thing." You know what, this industry sucks. The ladder to the top sucks. There's no easy way of doing this thing. G200, I don't think you understand the concept here. Sometimes (if you ever plan on making a career in this business) you have to bite the bullet and take the ride along. For example, I recieved a call from a former student the other day asking if I wanted to fly with him on a 450 mile trip in a T182RG. I could have said, "we'll if you pay me $30 per hour" and had him say "dude, I'm just trying to do you a favor by helping you build time. If you take my good graces of offering you flight time that you say you desperately need and demand money, then good ridance to you." Then I'm 7 hours short in my logbook and all I do that day is sit here on this computer on this stupid forrum. Who is dumb then?
All I am saying is, sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. Otherwise, find another job assembling typewriters. 10 years from now when I look back on this time in my life, I'll see that I did what I had to do to get me where I am then. A house in a nice neighborhood (not an apartment), a job I enjoy and a salary that can sustain me (without having to work 3 jobs). That is worth it.

Good luck using any of this "ride along time". If you are using it to try for an airline job someday most airlines won't accept it. They have redefined PIC as the pilot who signed for the aircraft and is ultimately responsible for the safety of the flight. If you want to take someone along to keep you company that's fine. The weird thing to me was that he was taking resumes. If the company truely flies single pilot then these low time pilots who are riding along for free would not have, most likely, what the company or the insurance company is looking for in a near future captain. If there is a new multi rated pilot who might just want to see what it's like to fly in something bigger than a Seneca, then cool, go for it. I just again feel sorry for the new upcoming pilot who applies to ride for free but gets turned down but he isn't competitive with the other ride-a-longers.

"Flyboy"

You are right..... I certainly do not understand the concept here.

I will keep all that in mind if I ever plan on making this a career.

eh...F*** IT.... I give up.

--whak!-- (my head against a wall.)

Last edited:
I did something like this. A couple times in fact. Rode along in a turbine powered airplane to gain experience, when that seat would have normally been empty. No, I didn't get compensated. I also didn't log it. I just did it to learn. What is the harm in that? Sheesh. Probably one of my best memories in aviation is flying a King Air 200 into Chicago Meigs before it closed. An opportunity which would have been wasted if I complained that I wasn't getting compensated for sitting in a seat not required per the regulations.

Know what I just realized? I think all my pictures of that King Air trip got wiped out when my hard drive bit the dust. I think I'm going to cry... :(

FlyChicaga,
you win the avatar contest ... even if they're fake.

this thread is proof that the value of this forum lies mainly in its entertainment, rather than its educational value.

i think a pilot version of the Jerry Spring show on Webcast (cuz the general population certainly isn't interested enough to justify a TV show) is what we need. Then we could scream and throw chairs at each other.

I think it's a great opportunity for low time pilots, don't know why everyone needs to bash this guy, not like he is charging pilots for the seat!

I am in the Houston area, and if I had my Comm cert. done, I would love the opportunity to gain some turbine exp. for FREE!!

Last edited:
Here's an idea.

Why not charge the right seater for this valuable experience? If they are willing to go "non-compensated," then they are already paying in a way. They could be using their time to produce income.

One of my FOs, (who is not required by ops or insurance, but who IS paid $200.00 per day + all expenses, AND who can't even log the flight time because no type,) suggested that we start a "King Air 300 CRM program." He thinks we could sell the seat for $100.00 per day. We would gross $300.00 per day! He's got lots of flight instructor buddies willing to sign up. Of course I'll have to review their resumes first....

even better idea..

fill the empty seats in back with MEI's who are dying for this "experience"...then they can say they were teaching and all log the time. $50 a seat.

Just think of all the favors we will be doing people who will appreciate the experience.

If only these opportunities were avaliable to me when I was starting out...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back