Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
I'm trying to put together a game-plan for UPT and was wondering what the housing situation is for married types. Is there a long wait for base housing? For those who get apartments off base, are they reasonable? Any other info you can give me on this topic is appreciated, as I have no idea what to expect...

Thanx.

Don't have a date yet. Just got out of AMS and am playing the waiting game. I was just looking for details in general....
thanks

There is quite a bit of good info in the message board at baseops.net. Click this link and it will take you there. Go to the military spouses forum (I'm serious) and display the topics from the last 30 days. There is lots of information about Laughlin and Vance, and a little about Moody and Columbus. I hope you get some good information.

Since UPT bases have transient groups by the nature of the program, there are usually base houses available. Class graduates every couple of weeks. If you know / when you know which base you are going to, give the housing office there a call...they will info concerning on-base and off-base housing.

The goal at Laughlin AFB is that no student will reside off base. In the last two years I have not heard of a student off base. If you are married you WILL have a house on base...period. If there are other open houses available, they will put two or three single students in houses. Finally, the remainder of the single students will get BOQ rooms.

What are the houses like? I'm sure they vary from base to base, but are we talking decent size? 2, 3, 4 bedroom, garage, basement, etc....?

The size house you get depends on how many dependents you have, but in most cases it will be a small three bedroom house with a carport. The only houses with garages are the wing commander and vice wing commander. There are a few two bedroom houses, but in general those are given to two single students. You can expect a three bedroom house if you are married.

What are the BOQ rooms like? Do they have washers/dryers, internet, etc? I've heard as a 2LT at Laughlin you'll either get BOQ or you can get a house on base with another student. If given a choice, which is the better deal? I've heard that you can't get a house unless you're a higher ranking guy or you know someone who is and they request you.

Latest resources

Back