Horizon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aland504

So does anyone have info on rumors of when Horizon might be hiring again? I know its a long upgrade, but I want to be in SEA and I honostly don't care. My QOL is my first concern plus they don't have 20 different domiclies unlike other carriers to bump you all around the country. I would love to fly the Q400. I heard they are getting rid of all their RJ's so I assume they will be training all their current pilots fisrt before hiring would take place again. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Yes, they will train all of their RJ pilots on the Q400 first.

Attrition will be the only thing driving hiring at QX for a while...

Major hiring has almost stopped.

Zero or very few retirements for another 4.5 years.

Negative growth.

I'd look at other options, or get a real job and check on horizon again in 5 years.

doubt it will happen but currently with the loss of 17 aircraft total for the fleet in the next 2 years means they would need something like 200 less pilots then they currently have.

I think this number will be lowered due to attrition and QX taking some of there 20 options. I would not be shocked to see 10 more 400's converted from options to orders and hiring to be nil for a while. Till things calm down in 2-3 years.

As for the attrition: More and more are leaving every month because of the uncertain future.

doubt it will happen but currently with the loss of 17 aircraft total for the fleet in the next 2 years means they would need something like 200 less pilots then they currently have.

I think this number will be lowered due to attrition and QX taking some of there 20 options. I would not be shocked to see 10 more 400's converted from options to orders and hiring to be nil for a while. Till things calm down in 2-3 years.

As for the attrition: More and more are leaving every month because of the uncertain future.

GET BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!!!

So does anyone have info on rumors of when Horizon might be hiring again? I know its a long upgrade, but I want to be in SEA and I honostly don't care. My QOL is my first concern plus they don't have 20 different domiclies unlike other carriers to bump you all around the country. I would love to fly the Q400. I heard they are getting rid of all their RJ's so I assume they will be training all their current pilots fisrt before hiring would take place again. Any info would be great. Thanks.

So you can live in SEA for 12 years on 40,000, WOW. You do realize how long the upgrade really is don't you?

2 QX CAs have told me in the last week they're looking at 200-250 furloughs as the jets depart.

10 years as an FO might sound ok to you right now as someone in their low 20's. If you have a wife and/or kids, the thought of FO wages as a 36 or 37 year old should make you want to think long and hard about coming here. The FO wages are going down as well because the jets are leaving so the top third of the payscale will be taking a cut.

Couple that with the rock bottom morale state and the ever present threat of air group getting bought out, and I can't in good conscience recommend to anyone to come to QX right now.

... I can't in good conscience recommend to anyone to come to QX right now.

I can't even recommend it as a mean joke. The only reason to do it would be if you MUST live in SEA or PDX and you can't come up with any other way to make that happen.

Unless of course you're getting the UND experience discount and secret chief pilot handshake, and that means diddly-squat to you. :nuts: Then, by all means, come join us!

2 QX CAs have told me in the last week they're looking at 200-250 furloughs as the jets depart.

Probably a little alarmist. Probably wouldn't even be that many with zero attrition over the next two years. However, I think anyone who has a way out with a decent place to land is heading for the hills.

It is possible (perhaps not likely) there will be no furloughs. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Latest resources

Back