• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Horizon Ground School Question

JAC2LAS

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
57
Total Time
I duno
I was wondering if anyone would tell me what size and how many Jepp binders should be brought to class. Thanks in advance.
 

Icelandair

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 19, 2005
Posts
313
Total Time
lots
The 2" one is a real tight squeeze for all of the charts. You may want to consider getting two 1" ones, since half of your charts you will NEVER even look at because your airplane doesn't go there. So put the airports you go to a lot in one binder and the useless charts in a second one.
 

skid

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Posts
272
Total Time
>6000
Depends on what aircraft you were hired for. Just left the company and I used a 2 inch for the main junk and 1 inch for the more common used charts. The Q200 has the least number of charts with its own system. Q4 and C7 use the same since they can easily sub for each other. If you are in them the 1 and 2 inch are ok but kinda tight. My suggestion is order them after you start ground school through QX.

Good Luck!
 

JAC2LAS

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
57
Total Time
I duno
Icelandair, Skid and Positive Rate- Thanks for the responses. Sounds like waiting til' I get there is the best bet. Thanks Again!
 

pilotlbs

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Posts
142
mnalpha said:
what you have to bring your own binders?
/gay
Hey man, I think your signature says "gay"? You might want to fix that, just so people don't give you a hard time. Anyhow, yeah JAC2LAS, waiting till you get there sounds like a wise idea, I'd agree.

Positive Rate said:
none....unless your in the sim.....class is all systems and stuff
We pray that he makes it that far. Huh B? =)
 
Last edited:

lowtimeguy

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
54
Total Time
1400
Does anyone know if they are still interviewing or have they filled their pool?
 

Sioux115

Regional BEEOTCH!
Joined
Sep 3, 2003
Posts
261
Total Time
0<
With the order of 12 more Q400s I doubt we have filled a pool. They are trying to get a friend of mine to interview this week.
 

lowtimeguy

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
54
Total Time
1400
I sent a resume in September, got a postcard acknowledgement. Should I send an updated resume? Who is the person a resume should be addressed to?
 

Bob Loblaw

Unimpressed User
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Posts
76
Total Time
.
lowtimeguy said:
I sent a resume in September, got a postcard acknowledgement. Should I send an updated resume? Who is the person a resume should be addressed to?
LaMar Haugaard, Chief Pilot. Or you could go right to the top and send it to Kim Powers, Flight Operations Administration.

Latest I heard was interviews continue, but lots of folks not getting to or past the Frasca. It really seems to help to have someone (virtually anyone) carry your resume in.
 

WestSide

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Posts
107
Total Time
25.6
Just sent my resume in today...any reccomendations on what to study for the interview? Any help is appreciated. Also, what color pants/blazer do you wear at QX? Just wondering if I can use my current uniform. Can you wear a leather jacket?
 

Way2Broke

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Posts
2,882
Total Time
4500
I got a call from them yesterday, but I am going to turn down the interview because I am happy with my current job. But it looks like they are still hiring. Good luck.
 

NavinRJohnson

Registered Gorer
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Posts
144
Total Time
Dunno
I interviewed recently with Horizon. Fantastic outfit, and I'm glad they're bringing brought me aboard.

That being said, I nearly tanked the Frasca Sim. I thought I could go in cold turkey no problem, but I was a$$holes and elbows on the departure and only saved myself on the approaches I shot. Just keep your cool if you screw up and keep on trucking. I think that helped some that I didn't freak out after my initial problems.

Bottom line: Hook yourself up and get some time in their Frasca. They're using the one at Hillsboro Aviation. I truly wish I had gotten some time, and with hindsight being 20/20 I would almost consider it a prerequisite to the interview.

aviationinterviews.com has current gouge on interview info and format.

Hope this helps! Classing up Nov 2nd and can't wait...

The Navin

WestSide: Yes they wear leather jackets, dunno about the other clothing stuff you asked about, but I wouldn't sweat stuff like that. Concern yourself with good prep for the interview, and consider pay, benefits, work rules, and other much more important criteria. Good luck!

Navin
 
Last edited:

DoubleDown

Active member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Posts
33
Total Time
2500
WestSide said:
Just sent my resume in today...any reccomendations on what to study for the interview? Any help is appreciated. Also, what color pants/blazer do you wear at QX? Just wondering if I can use my current uniform. Can you wear a leather jacket?
Cart's a little before the horse don't ya think?
 

QCappy

Left Coaster
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
521
Total Time
9000+
Sioux115 said:
With the order of 12 more Q400s I doubt we have filled a pool. They are trying to get a friend of mine to interview this week.
Well...It's only going to be a net gain of 4 airplanes.:rolleyes: LaMar said we would be getting rid of "up to 9 Q200s":bawling:
 

tomdav

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Posts
77
Total Time
12000
upgrade

QCappy said:
Well...It's only going to be a net gain of 4 airplanes.:rolleyes: LaMar said we would be getting rid of "up to 9 Q200s":bawling:
At least FO's will be able to get 400 pay that much quicker while they wait for upgrade.

Welcome aboard JAC2LAS. Get the flows and memory items in your study guide nailed and your all set for groundschool.
 

JAC2LAS

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
57
Total Time
I duno
tomdav said:
Welcome aboard JAC2LAS. Get the flows and memory items in your study guide nailed and your all set for groundschool.
Thanks! I've been making flash cards and all that dorky stuff. I can't wait to start class...it seems like a really fun bunch. See ya around campus:)
 

Bob Loblaw

Unimpressed User
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Posts
76
Total Time
.
JAC2LAS said:
Thanks! I've been making flash cards and all that dorky stuff. I can't wait to start class...it seems like a really fun bunch. See ya around campus:)
Just watch out for the dorky Indoc ground instructor that wears skin-tight tiger-striped bicycle outfits around the second floor and thinks he's pretty funny (actually he is pretty funny). See if you can figure out who I mean, then ask him about service monkeys. Good luck and welcome aboard.
 

JAC2LAS

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
57
Total Time
I duno
Bob Loblaw said:
Just watch out for the dorky Indoc ground instructor that wears skin-tight tiger-striped bicycle outfits around the second floor and thinks he's pretty funny (actually he is pretty funny). See if you can figure out who I mean, then ask him about service monkeys. Good luck and welcome aboard.
haha...this will be fun...I'll make sure to let you know. Thanks.
 
Top