• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Horizon Ground School Question

JAC2LAS

Total Time
I duno
I was wondering if anyone would tell me what size and how many Jepp binders should be brought to class. Thanks in advance.

Icelandair

Total Time
lots
The 2" one is a real tight squeeze for all of the charts. You may want to consider getting two 1" ones, since half of your charts you will NEVER even look at because your airplane doesn't go there. So put the airports you go to a lot in one binder and the useless charts in a second one.

skid

Total Time
>6000
Depends on what aircraft you were hired for. Just left the company and I used a 2 inch for the main junk and 1 inch for the more common used charts. The Q200 has the least number of charts with its own system. Q4 and C7 use the same since they can easily sub for each other. If you are in them the 1 and 2 inch are ok but kinda tight. My suggestion is order them after you start ground school through QX.

Good Luck!

JAC2LAS

Total Time
I duno
Icelandair, Skid and Positive Rate- Thanks for the responses. Sounds like waiting til' I get there is the best bet. Thanks Again!

pilotlbs

mnalpha said:
what you have to bring your own binders?
/gay
Hey man, I think your signature says "gay"? You might want to fix that, just so people don't give you a hard time. Anyhow, yeah JAC2LAS, waiting till you get there sounds like a wise idea, I'd agree.

Positive Rate said:
none....unless your in the sim.....class is all systems and stuff
We pray that he makes it that far. Huh B? =)

Last edited:

lowtimeguy

Total Time
Does anyone know if they are still interviewing or have they filled their pool?

Sioux115

Regional BEEOTCH!
Total Time
0<
With the order of 12 more Q400s I doubt we have filled a pool. They are trying to get a friend of mine to interview this week.

lowtimeguy

Total Time
I sent a resume in September, got a postcard acknowledgement. Should I send an updated resume? Who is the person a resume should be addressed to?

Bob Loblaw

Unimpressed User
Total Time
lowtimeguy said:
I sent a resume in September, got a postcard acknowledgement. Should I send an updated resume? Who is the person a resume should be addressed to?
LaMar Haugaard, Chief Pilot. Or you could go right to the top and send it to Kim Powers, Flight Operations Administration.

Latest I heard was interviews continue, but lots of folks not getting to or past the Frasca. It really seems to help to have someone (virtually anyone) carry your resume in.

WestSide

Total Time
Just sent my resume in today...any reccomendations on what to study for the interview? Any help is appreciated. Also, what color pants/blazer do you wear at QX? Just wondering if I can use my current uniform. Can you wear a leather jacket?

Way2Broke

Total Time
I got a call from them yesterday, but I am going to turn down the interview because I am happy with my current job. But it looks like they are still hiring. Good luck.

NavinRJohnson

Registered Gorer
Total Time
Dunno
I interviewed recently with Horizon. Fantastic outfit, and I'm glad they're bringing brought me aboard.

That being said, I nearly tanked the Frasca Sim. I thought I could go in cold turkey no problem, but I was a$$holes and elbows on the departure and only saved myself on the approaches I shot. Just keep your cool if you screw up and keep on trucking. I think that helped some that I didn't freak out after my initial problems.

Bottom line: Hook yourself up and get some time in their Frasca. They're using the one at Hillsboro Aviation. I truly wish I had gotten some time, and with hindsight being 20/20 I would almost consider it a prerequisite to the interview.

aviationinterviews.com has current gouge on interview info and format.

Hope this helps! Classing up Nov 2nd and can't wait...

The Navin

WestSide: Yes they wear leather jackets, dunno about the other clothing stuff you asked about, but I wouldn't sweat stuff like that. Concern yourself with good prep for the interview, and consider pay, benefits, work rules, and other much more important criteria. Good luck!

Navin

Last edited:

DoubleDown

Total Time
WestSide said:
Just sent my resume in today...any reccomendations on what to study for the interview? Any help is appreciated. Also, what color pants/blazer do you wear at QX? Just wondering if I can use my current uniform. Can you wear a leather jacket?
Cart's a little before the horse don't ya think?

QCappy

Left Coaster
Total Time
9000+
Sioux115 said:
With the order of 12 more Q400s I doubt we have filled a pool. They are trying to get a friend of mine to interview this week.
Well...It's only going to be a net gain of 4 airplanes.:rolleyes: LaMar said we would be getting rid of "up to 9 Q200s":bawling:

tomdav

Total Time
upgrade

QCappy said:
Well...It's only going to be a net gain of 4 airplanes.:rolleyes: LaMar said we would be getting rid of "up to 9 Q200s":bawling:
At least FO's will be able to get 400 pay that much quicker while they wait for upgrade.

Welcome aboard JAC2LAS. Get the flows and memory items in your study guide nailed and your all set for groundschool.

JAC2LAS

Total Time
I duno
tomdav said:
Welcome aboard JAC2LAS. Get the flows and memory items in your study guide nailed and your all set for groundschool.
Thanks! I've been making flash cards and all that dorky stuff. I can't wait to start class...it seems like a really fun bunch. See ya around campus:)

Bob Loblaw

Unimpressed User
Total Time
JAC2LAS said:
Thanks! I've been making flash cards and all that dorky stuff. I can't wait to start class...it seems like a really fun bunch. See ya around campus:)
Just watch out for the dorky Indoc ground instructor that wears skin-tight tiger-striped bicycle outfits around the second floor and thinks he's pretty funny (actually he is pretty funny). See if you can figure out who I mean, then ask him about service monkeys. Good luck and welcome aboard.

JAC2LAS

Total Time
I duno
Bob Loblaw said:
Just watch out for the dorky Indoc ground instructor that wears skin-tight tiger-striped bicycle outfits around the second floor and thinks he's pretty funny (actually he is pretty funny). See if you can figure out who I mean, then ask him about service monkeys. Good luck and welcome aboard.
haha...this will be fun...I'll make sure to let you know. Thanks.