Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How-to Calibrating your Aithre Shield 2.0 in a Garmin G3X Touch (experimental)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Neal

Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
I've been having issues with my Aithre Shield 2.0 lately and have had dialog with Aithre's support which has been wonderful and very responsive. In figuring out what's going on with my G3X/GEA24 situation including erratic CO readings from Aithre a friend told me to use the Aithre iOS app and compare with what the G3X shows. Excellent suggestion, thank you @turbopilot, and it also indicated different readings on the iOS app (accurate info) and the G3X which was not accurate and requires calibration.

The Aithre installation manual is a little nebulous on exactly how to calibrate but it's been an interesting learning experience hence why I'm sharing this. The G3X via the GEA24 receives voltages from the Aithre which are converted into parts per million for a CO reading. So effectively a 0 voltage sense would be 0 ppm and a 3.3V sense would be 255 ppm (doing this from memory but I believe those are accurate). In my case the G3X was reading slightly high by about 7-10 ppm. I went to the configuration side of the G3X and into the Engine area and then found the CO monitor (can't remember how it's titled as the sensor) and then went to the calibration area. I removed the 0/0 entry and entered a new entry which I use a 0 ppm is a 0.15V value. I then saved the value and then saved the calibration. This worked great but it was too much compensation so for about a 7-10 ppm value half of what I entered would be correct, so for my next flight I'll use 0 ppm at 0.07V.

Interesting process but the key learning point here is bring up your Aithre iOS app and with it bluetooth connected to your Aithre Shield 2.0 device you can see the real numbers. Then from that you can calibrate your G3X touch to show a more accurate CO reading.

Attachments

• InstallManual_AithreShieldEXSeries_12212023.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest resources

Back