• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

QCappy

Left Coaster
Horizon announces intention to fly from Everett's Paine Field
Oct. 2, 2008
Horizon Air is pursuing plans to introduce daily air service from Paine Field near Everett, Wash., before next summer. The announcement comes after a 6-0 vote last month by the Everett City Council in favor of a resolution supporting scheduled commercial flights at Paine Field.
Horizon is considering flights to Portland and Spokane, with schedules timed to facilitate same-day business trips between the cities. Snohomish County travelers could also fly out of Paine Field and connect in Portland to many popular destinations on the West Coast and beyond.
“Rather than suffer on the I-5 slog or endure tedious hours on I-90, Snohomish County residents would be able to travel between these three Northwest regions much more quickly with Horizon Air from Paine Field,” says Dan Russo, vice president, Marketing and Communications.
The service would also have the potential to aid commercial development of the Snohomish County region by making it easier and less time-consuming to get there.
The flights would be entirely provided with aircraft currently in Horizon's Q400 fleet. Mindful of community concerns about noise, H orizon in its public announcement is noting that the Q400 is among the quietest commercial aircraft in the world today. The Q400 is 10 decibels quieter than a similar-size jet and more than 20 decibels quieter than an MD-80 jet. Even city center airports where stringent noise limitations are in effect – such as those in London and Toronto – have accepted Q400 flights.
Horizon is also promoting the fact that the Q400 is among the most environmentally friendly aircraft today, burning 30 percent less fuel and producing 30 percent lower emissions than a similar-size jet.
Horizon last considered Paine Field-Portland flights in 1998, at that time using Q200s. We eventually opted not to pursue the plan and instead focused on building more flight activity at our Seattle hub with the larger Q400s.
Before making a final decision on whether to provide the new service, Horizon needs to secure a cost-effective lease agreement at the airport related to the terminal facilities necessary for check-in, screening of passengers and baggage, and flight boarding.

If you own a house in Mukilteo it's time to sell. Airlines have been trying to come into Paine Field for years and now it's only a matter of time. Unfortunatly house values are already down some 70000 there.

If you own a house in Mukilteo it's time to sell. Airlines have been trying to come into Paine Field for years and now it's only a matter of time. Unfortunatly house values are already down some 70000 there.

You can barely hear a Q400 flying overhead. I wouldn't sell into this market for that reason.

Smartest thing I've heard the Airgroup do.

Oh, wait, I guess that isn't saying much - the bar is already pretty low...

Is that before or after the engines are MEL'ed?

Before there MEL'ed. The plane fly's over my house at low altitudes and nobody around us really hears it or cares. Its just a very low pitch noise that isn't annoying at all. In fact, its a really hard to hear.

Its way quieter then the J-41 you flew back in the day.

Quote:

Mindful of community concerns, Horizon would operate the flights with its 76-seat Bombardier Q400 high-speed turboprops, among the quietest commercial aircraft in the world today. This neighborhood-friendly aircraft is 10 decibels quieter than a similar-size jet and more than 20 decibels quieter than an MD-80 jet. Even city center airports where stringent noise limitations are in effect – such as those in London and Toronto – have accepted Q400 flights.

The Q400 is also among the most environmentally friendly aircraft today, burning 30 percent less fuel and producing 30 percent lower emissions than a similar-size jet.

Right... This is how it will go. A 400 will break and an RJ will be step in. Then the following bid it wll be being flown with RJ. The trips will then be:

PDX-SEA
SEA-PDX
PDX-PAE
PAE-PDX
PDX-SEA
SEA-PDX

And what does the winner get? 4.7 hours of credit for six legs.

The first batch of furloughs are gone on Nov 10. They are asking for premium trips to cover the RJ flying right now.

Right... This is how it will go. A 400 will break and an RJ will be step in. Then the following bid it wll be being flown with RJ. The trips will then be:

PDX-SEA
SEA-PDX
PDX-PAE
PAE-PDX
PDX-SEA
SEA-PDX

And what does the winner get? 4.7 hours of credit for six legs.

Once you've flown 8 legs for 4.7 hours of credit, then you can bitch. Until then, you'll have Q200 guys smacking you upside the head for talking like that.

Is that before or after the engines are MEL'ed?

My Q400, with whistletips installed, is quite noisy. I like making low passes over Monroe, especially right after you got your kid to sleep.

By the way, have you heard the one about how RJ's don't stop whining once the engines are shut down?

Latest resources

Back