Horizon Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DashTrash400 said:
400GB, all the Q400 FOs on reserve last bid flew their azzes off. Not one of us did under 100 credit, and I know at least two FOs besides myself who did 110 or better.

OTOH, I know a 400 line-holder that is DH'ing around more than flying. How does this happen? One FO I talked to yesterday is flying 5 legs on a 4-day. And his last trip wasn't much different. Unbelievable amounts of soft time.

SLC Commute

Had a question for you Horizon types: Could you commute out of SLC, or would that be a royal pain? Seems like Alaska/Horizon never inflitrated the Utah market (I assume due to market saturation via Skywest/ASA).

I figure if you might move around between domiciles like DEN or SEA, SLC would be a nice middle point to commute.

I do know there are codeshare flights for Alaska through Delta, would that make a difference?

I'm lucky enough to have an interview with Horizon near the end of the month. While I'd like to live in SLC, it wouldn't kill me to move.

Also, how 'bout BOI?

Thanks in advance,

The Navin

Last edited:
NavinRJohnson said:
Had a question for you Horizon types: Could you commute out of SLC, or would that be a royal pain? Seems like Alaska/Horizon never inflitrated the Utah market (I assume due to market saturation via Skywest/ASA).

I figure if you might move around between domiciles like DEN or SEA, SLC would be a nice middle point to commute.

I do know there are codeshare flights for Alaska through Delta, would that make a difference?

I'm lucky enough to have an interview with Horizon near the end of the month. While I'd like to live in SLC, it wouldn't kill me to move.

Also, how 'bout BOI?

You could commute out of anywhere you like. Delta does have many flights a day to SEA, PDX, and I assume DEN too. You would only move between SEA and PDX in the Q200 or PDX and DEN in the CRJ, but there isn't much movement to speak of so usually wherever you are after the first few months is where you're going to be for a while. Codeshare doesn't mean crap for commuting, so you'd be on your own on a jumpseat with Delta or whoever.

Good luck to you. Remember, when you're out of the military, you aren't in the military anymore. So don't act like you are.....most people hate that attitude:)

P.S. great username!!

It would probably be smart to move to your domicle if you get hired here. Because reserve is a sh!tty thing to commute to. You can sit for up to five days and not fly once and then commute home for two days and then do it again. Its best to live where you are based on reserve so then you can just sit at home and do what you want while you wait to work. Just a QOL of life tip.

Be carefull of the SLC sea or pdx commute...it's brutal. halfe of the former pdx base for skywest commutes to slc, and most are not very happy about it. the slc-den one is just as difficult despite all of the flights between the two cities.

Mookie

AlphaSierra01 said:
Is horizon's training in Portland or Seattle? What do they pay during and does it include lodging?

Ground school is in Portland; sim is in Seattle and/or Denver. Pay is 16 credit hours per week @30 something per hour; double occupancy lodging.

KCPilot said:
Does anyone know the military leave poilicy for Horizon and first couple of years pay?

The company is awesome about Mil leave. If you need it off (and can provide orders if it is over 14 days) you'll get it. Haven't had any probs so far. PM me if you need the skinny.

Anyone know long Horizon will continue to hire? How short of crews are they? Will they have a class date before the end of the year?

AlphaSierra01 said:
Anyone know long Horizon will continue to hire? How short of crews are they? Will they have a class date before the end of the year?

Right now all they've got is one class scheduled for Oct 11. 3 RJ, 4 Q400, and 4 Q200 FO's.

Latest resources

Back