Home Security

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

socony_air

I recently had a car vandalized while on a trip. My wife & young daughter were in bed for the night. My wife and I are considering our options & I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for installers/monitoring companies southwest of Atlanta.

Since we're all away so often, I thought someone might have had a similar experience - or could relate how they helped a spouse feel more secure while they were out of town.

I have an OLD monitoring panel that was malfuntioning when we moved in & is not currently monitored. I either need to repair it or more likely get a new system. I'm also really interested in some quality outside/night vision cameras to set up for her to look at if something goes bump in the night outside & she gets scared. (then load the shotgun or call the cops...) thanks all.

You can get a driveway sensor, magnetic window contacts on each window, acoustic glassbreak detectors for each room (in case they break the window instead of opening it), dual mode microwave/passive infared motion detectors for each room (in case they cut the glass with a class cutter and don't open the window), a keypad by each door and in the master bedroom, a wire along the phone line into the ground to detect if someone cuts it, and a wireless keypad pennant for the wife to wear (in addition to a panic switch she can reach from her bed) for less than $2000. Monthly monitoring is around $15.

You need to personally talk to a few of the local (not ADT or Brinks) security companies for the installation and monitoring.

Better lighting

I've been a police officer for a long time and I believe in motion detection type lighting is one of the most cost effective ways to curb this. I don't want to get into a long discussion here but people who commit crimes like to not be seen, cover is their friend. Dark areas or areas of over grown bushes that allow them to not be seen.

Hope this helps a little, fly safe,

AvDad

I live in Marietta and use Phoenix security systems. Have been with them for about two years and no complains yet. I have by mistake set the Alarm off and missed the call Phoenix makes to verify password and if everything is o.k. ( I turned the alarm off and jumped in the shower) Sure enough, two cop cars showed up within 10 minutes. At least I know it works.
Its $ 20 a month not sure how much they charge for installation, we moved into a new house with it already installed. The number is 678-566-2640

I can recommend a breeder of German Shepherds in South Fulton County. Nothing like a 110lb dog to keep the undesirables away (The breed is very good at protecting the whole family, and ours is great with kids).

We got the dog because I am out of town a lot.

You can get a driveway sensor, magnetic window contacts on each window, acoustic glassbreak detectors for each room (in case they break the window instead of opening it), dual mode microwave/passive infared motion detectors for each room (in case they cut the glass with a class cutter and don't open the window), a keypad by each door and in the master bedroom, a wire along the phone line into the ground to detect if someone cuts it, and a wireless keypad pennant for the wife to wear (in addition to a panic switch she can reach from her bed) for less than $2000. Monthly monitoring is around $15.

You need to personally talk to a few of the local (not ADT or Brinks) security companies for the installation and monitoring.

Sounds like you've been in the industry :) I was at C&K Systems working on the DT-7xx line of Dual-Tec motion sensors (uWave/PIR) when I got tired of my cubicle and turned to flying. We all agreed in the industry. The best system for home security is a barking dog weighing more than 50lbs.

First, get a gun and learn how to use it properly if you don't already.
Second, make it known that you have firearms and are unafraid to use them regardless of the circumstances.
Third, teach your spouse how to use the weapon, well.
Fourth, light up your house like Centennial Park.
Fifth, as mentioned before, buy a mean-looking, large dog. Chances are the type hood-rat that is vandalizing yo stuff doesn't care for dogs unless they are Pits chained to the tree in their own front yard.
Sixth, call the police every time you suspect anyone in your neighborhood and keep calling.

GOOD LUCK!

The best thing would be move from southwest Atlanta, but I understand why that's not your first impulse.

I recommend a Glock or a good old fashion Smith and Wesson. Maybe a shoot gun?

As phil hendrie would say whats wrong with that?

Latest resources

Back