• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Home Security

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get the dog I have a Doberman and post signs that say my Doberman can make it to this gate in 3 seconds can you! Most of the time people don't use guns and end up having them taken from them and used against them.

A guardian breed dog is great with your family and out of instinct will protect!!! Little or no training needed if the dog is loved by you. I have no doubts that my doberman would fight a intruder till her last breath.

Bingo! When non-gun owners ask me the best pistol to get for home defense the answer is always a Mossberg or Winchester Defender shotgun with extended magazine and pistol grip. Loaded with light bird shot it keeps damage low to occupants not in the line of fire. You can make your way through door frames and have two hands secure on the weapon in a hip shooting posture. The visual/aural deterent factor is also much higher with a shotgun over a 9mm. A little shotgun and a little training go a long way!

With bird shot he might live. with OO buck... he might be recognizable as a human LOL.also bird shot is steel....OO buck is lead. Its heavier and there will be no doubt the OO buck would stop any type of forward advancement. i prefer the normal stock and firing from the shoulder. Cuz if your inexperienced from firing from the waist you could miss or maybe drop the gun if your not use to the recoil. plus buy one of those florescent sights that light up if there is any type of light present(even moonlight). just put the green dot on the perp and its curtains. Thats what i got on mine. i wouldnt recomend a handgun unless you have night sights,real good at firing under stress and pressure, or its a H&K lol

Last edited:
With bird shot he might live. with OO buck... he might be recognizable as a human LOL.also bird shot is steel....OO buck is lead. Its heavier and there will be no doubt the OO buck would stop any type of forward advancement. i prefer the normal stock and firing from the shoulder. Cuz if your inexperienced from firing from the waist you could miss or maybe drop the gun if your not use to the recoil. plus buy one of those florescent sights that light up if there is any type of light present(even moonlight). just put the green dot on the perp and its curtains. Thats what i got on mine. i wouldnt recomend a handgun unless you have night sights,real good at firing under stress and pressure, or its a H&K lol

Have some fun one day and take some shots on clay/mud blocks at 15'. The size of a shot cloud at that distance might be 2" and see what about 500 tiny pellets from a 1 1/2oz load bouncing around inside would do to the idiot who came inside your house. At that distance the energy put on your target is just the same with #7 1/2 as 00 buck. Unless your buying duck/waterfowl loads you can get lead shot all day long. The heavy buckshot greatly increases the chance of hurting your neighboor next door, or your kids down the hall. Any weapon you choose you should be proficient at using and understand it's limits. A long gun is not the thing to have running down the halls/doorways of a house trying to put space between you and the intruder. A defensive position is much safer than an offensive position. Let the guy try to close in on you, don't hunt them down unless they are between you and undefended loved ones. A short shotgun held at the hip provides much less of a handle for someone to grab and is much harder to remove than that long barrel held way away from your body. Any gun that you don't know how to use can increase the chance of getting you killed. A small woman can control a shotgun from the hip with a little practice and put lead in a body mass target consistently within a couple of boxes of shells. I will agree with you on the light. A mounted high power LED flashlight works as a great "laser" sight when your pumping out the rounds.

I don't live in Atlanta, but a home security system from a local provider should run around 600 - 800 $ for wireless contacts and a couple of motion detectors. They'll just take the old panel out and throw it away..it's probably not worth anything either. Monitoring should cost 20-40 a month, if you're going to be able to maintain the system yourself should anything go wrong, you can get monitoring for about 10 bucks a month....

oh ya, a loud dog and lots of lights wouldn't hurt either...

Deadly force is not always necessary. Just tell your wife to put two in the ceiling when someone comes up the stairs and I doubt the intruder will continue. If he does, she's already exercised her trigger finger and will be practiced up on utilizing the remaining 10 rounds.

Either way, if an intruder makes it to your wife it most likely will not matter whether he is armed with common household goods, whatever he brought, or the firearm that your wife hands him.

If on his way to your wife's room he picked up your brand new Wustof Santoku knife from the kitchen about the only thing that will stop him will be the firearm. Certainly not the security lighting or dog.

In my opinion having 5 lines of defense is key. Although the last line of defense is much more important than the first.

Deadly force isnt always necessary? You breach my front door, you are gonna die. Period.

Deadly force isnt always necessary? You breach my front door, you are gonna die. Period.

What I meant to backup was the overwhelming effectiveness that having a gun in the house can have on deterring the intruder from continuing his intrusion. Like people jokingly say about how an intruder can recognize the racking of a shotgun slide, there is no way an intruder will miss hearing the sound of gunfire coming his direction.

I'm no anti gun guy. I own a bunch of them. However, criminology and law enforcement studies prove over and over that you are more likely to die from your own gun then shoot the bad guy if you don't have the proper training.

Giving your wife a gun and telling her to use it is a bad idea unless your wife has experience.

You're much better getting a good security system, lights, and even a dog.

Or best of all move to a better area if you're worried about your safety!

Latest resources

Back