• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hobby expansion passes; Southwest wins fight with United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy, I won't go through the trouble of looking ******************** up. I just don't care enough. However, Everytime I pass through there I hear a citation taxiing to customs. They can barely speak English and are always jamming up ground frequency. That's all I know. customs is available there, maybe it is on call but it is used continuously.

Bake

I think the customs office on the south ramp would continue to do what it does. Process GA aircraft that come in to HOU. One website claims HOU sees the most business traffic of any Houston area airport. The new International Terminal would be an additional requirement. I'm not familiar enough to know if these agents could share the load or schedules and all that. But I don't see them moving from the GA side or losing that requirement.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/trade_outreach/ports.xml

When is the SWA party and can this UAL guy come? I'm guessing beers will be free. Here I'd have to bring my own and then Jeff would take them for himself and charge me. Congrats SWA!

Flop, I am pretty sure yo are the most ignorant poster on here. Your CEO didn't care enough to show up, and you want us to take the blame. Waaaaa!

Don't fool yourself for one second, these job losses are directly on each and every Southwest employee, from GK on down. QUOTE]

Flop,

These job losses fall squarely on United's inept management and merger with CAL - it's called hub right-sizing. SWA and the city council are merely scapegoats.

Gary Kelly's obligation is to protect and grow SWA and it's employees. He is succeeding and UAL is failing. I really don't mean this as crass as it sounds. I truly hope that the UAL/CAL employees who desire it, find a new home at SW.

UA Plans IAH Job Cuts

United Continental plans Houston job cuts

(Reuters) - United Continental Holdings will reduce flights and 1,300 jobs at Houston's biggest airport after that city gave Southwest Airlines approval to add international flights at a smaller airport in Houston.

United's biggest hub is Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport. The City Council of Houston voted on Wednesday to allow Southwest to expand William Hobby Airport to build new gates and a customs facility for international routes.

"We expect to begin a 10 percent reduction in planned (Intercontinental) capacity beginning with the fall 2012 schedule change," United Continental said in a Wednesday memo to workers that was obtained on Thursday.
The Hobby expansion had been opposed by United Continental, which had released a report earlier this month saying international service at Hobby would drain passengers from Intercontinental.

In that report, United said the diversion of traffic from Intercontinental would lead it to cut its planned capacity at that airport by 10 percent, costing 1,300 jobs.

"We regret the job loss, but we will be forced to reduce employment" at Intercontinental as a direct result of the City's approval of the Hobby expansion, the staff memo said. Job cuts will begin in the fall and occur over time, United said.

Southwest agreed to invest at least $100 million to cover costs tied to the Hobby upgrade. Construction at Hobby is expected to take two years, with international flights not expected to start there until 2015.

United has a total of more than 85,000 employees.

Guys: Realize this is not just what Jeff S. would have done, this is not simply right-sizing a hub. This is what anybody running a large hub at IAH would have to do after this policy change. Bethune would have had to do the same thiing. This is the only reaction a company could take. These people will be out of work due to Southwest Airlines. Period. Gk put these people out of work. It will happen around Christmas. Nice job SWA!! If we had won and SWA had to move over to IAH, we both would pbly be hiring. But SWA can't "win" if someone else doesn't lose.

The specific problem is that these former CAL people can't/don't want to move out of Houston. United will have a spot for them elsewhere, but anybody who could move already has for the most part. They should have right of first refusal to new positions at SWA, and you guys ought to get on making it happen. I think Bubba already has and I appreciate it. I tell you from what I gather is the average current swa understanding of FIS/customs/etc, you are going to need people who understand it. And they all do.

Last edited:
Do you really believe what you write?
10% job cuts in the Fall of 2012 because SWA will begin service to Mexico sometime in 2015?
Please.

Guys: Realize this is not just what Jeff S. would have done, this is not simply right-sizing a hub. This is what anybody running a large hub at IAH would have to do after this policy change. Bethune would have had to do the same thiing. This is the only reaction a company could take. These people will be out of work due to Southwest Airlines. Period. Gk put these people out of work. It will happen around Christmas. Nice job SWA!! If we had won and SWA had to move over to IAH, we both would pbly be hiring. But SWA can't "win" if someone else doesn't lose.

The specific problem is that these former CAL people can't/don't want to move out of Houston. United will have a spot for them elsewhere, but anybody who could move already has for the most part. They should have right of first refusal to new positions at SWA, and you guys ought to get on making it happen. I think Bubba already has and I appreciate it. I tell you from what I gather is the average current swa understanding of FIS/customs/etc, you are going to need people who understand it. And they all do.

SWA doesn't have to worry about FIS and customs they have AT to 'splain it to them. 1. Bring passport 2. Stand in line 3. Don't use your cell phone . That should do it. That's some good propaganda though Flop. It's a shame you are wasting that talent here. You should be an op-ed writer or you could start a blog or something.

Gotta be one of the most hilarious posts on this entire board Flop.

Delusional doesn't even begin to describe your rantings.

SWA doesn't owe any UA employee anything for you having an inept management. It sucks you're in the position and I don't wish anyone failure, but to say SWA owes them right of first refusal is pretty darn funny. Would SWA be smart to look at their experience for possible positions? Sure. But they aren't owed anything.

Yet once again, SWA HAS ABSOLUTELY NO AFFECT ON UA JOB LOSSES RIGHT NOW AT IAH. it's not possible for this to cause people to lose jobs THREE YEARS ahead of time.

Please follow along this time.

Latest resources

Back