• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hobby expansion passes; Southwest wins fight with United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you taking this statement at face value? It's all about current and future bargaining.

Personally, I see this as a win for United. They shift flying to DEN, which lowers their airport fees at DEN by $22M per year. Further, United mothballs an additional $800M in airport expansion plans in IAH.
What United management is currently doing is playing one hub's city council off against the other in order to extract concessions.
At the same time, United has been able to get SWA to spend an additional $100M on HOU improvements.

At the present time, United's ASMs are shrinking. Unfortunately. Part of that is the economy, part of that is merger issues.
Eventually, United will start growing ASMs again. When they do, they will be playing off LAX, DEN, IAH, and ORD city councils for concessions in exchange for additional flying. SFO is pretty maxed out and my guess is that no additional east coast capacity is needed.

I'd be looking for nonstops out of IAH to the northwest US/Canada to shift to DEN and IAH in turn feeding the DEN hub with that traffic.

PRECISELY. If SWA's HOU expansion was not approved, United would simply blame the poor economy and 'right sizing all hubs'. No matter the outcome, United was going to draw down some IAH flying.

Andy, I don't really disagree with you at all. It was going to happen one way or another. I'm just trying to see if flop will actually admit that it's not SWA's fault. He is so blinded by hate that he can't see the forest for the trees.

So, which is it?

Either the 1300 jobs are lost due to SWA (which isn't possible three years in advance), or the 1300 jobs are lost due to changes in UA mgmt's game plan of what flights are economically viable with the planned aircraft type (which SWA would have no influence over). You can't have it both ways.

Job loss is 100% squarely on UA mgmt, not SWA, not the city council.

Had SWA begun ops in SAT, jobs wouldn't have been cut by SWA in HOU. Jobs would have been added in SAT.

Don't fool yourself for one second, these job losses are directly on each and every Southwest employee, from GK on down.

We were long term committed to Houston until we just got our invitation to leave. What we built at IAH and what we were told we could rely on has been spoiled.

If you Southwest people want to try and do something good, try and get these hourly former CAL employees some jobs out there at Hobby. They can not go with the jobs to DEN or anywhere else in the system.

PRECISELY. If SWA's HOU expansion was not approved, United would simply blame the poor economy and 'right sizing all hubs'. No matter the outcome, United was going to draw down some IAH flying.

This is not correct Andy. We just broke ground on $700 million to the terminals. Now they are going to idle it. It would appear so to a UAL guy, I know. But Houston had potential. It took a constant effort to keep it what it was, now it's toast.

HAAAAA HAAA HAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA that's a good one Flop. All on the SWA employees. That was a good laugh.

I can see that you were so "long term committed" to Houston that just this morning the CO ops center at HDQ shut down and turned over operational control to the Chicago office. That's some long term commitment there. We're in it for the long haul, Houston, that is until someone else makes a better offer. Sheesh, on the heads of SWA employees, good stuff there.

Whaaaa , whaaaaaa
Cry baby

Hey punk: You just crapped all over about 1000 Houstonians that deserve better. I'm not the least bit upset for myself. I commute. I'll go to any base.

BTW: Among the pilots I know that left CAL for SWA. There isn't one that any of us miss.

Aukland. The 787 is not meeting projected fuel burn estimates. The CAL 787 fleet people and Boeing have been trying to iron this out with different routes or, well, any amount of tweaking you can imagine. The bottom line is, Aukland is going to be a real stretch on the first production 787s and we are probably going to have to limit payload out of Houston. It's a software issue that is going to take a year or so of flying to get the data we need to get the maximum performance out of the airplane. We don't have this problem out of the West Coast; We can fill it up.

All of these problems would have occurred whether or not SWA used Hobby as an International gateway. It's a Red Herring. If SWA had flown International from IAH, was Jeffy relying on their connecting passengers to fill his 787 to Auckland ?

Jeffy is covering up a failed plan and blaming it on SWA. The entire New Zealand population is smaller than the city of Houston. What a maroon.

HAAAAA HAAA HAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA that's a good one Flop. All on the SWA employees. That was a good laugh.

I can see that you were so "long term committed" to Houston that just this morning the CO ops center at HDQ shut down and turned over operational control to the Chicago office. That's some long term commitment there. We're in it for the long haul, Houston, that is until someone else makes a better offer. Sheesh, on the heads of SWA employees, good stuff there.

You own it buddy. Nice job. Frankly, I don't think SWA is going to hire a larger number than UAL has to displace as a result of this. (not near 10,000) I would suggest you start the damage control right now and offer work to these CAL people.

If SWA had flown International from IAH, was Jeffy relying on their connecting passengers to fill his 787 to Auckland ?

Uh, YES!!! We needed to be able to compete for every customer going thru Houston. That is what IAH was designed for. Now we can't.

You're acting as if this decision has shuttered every intl gate at IAH. Suddenly, yet three years in the future, IAH can't function as an intl airport for UA.

If the 787 required another airline's connecting passengers to fill it, it was never a good plan in the first place.

Latest resources

Back