• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I think that's "Frak."

I have no idea what "feldercarb" means.

erj-145mech said:
I think that its from the original TV series "Battlestar Galactica". Sort of a futuristic "OH Fudge".

HawkerF/O said:
1st, please don't call me son; you are insulting my mother.

First, I didn't mean to insult Mrs. Hawker, I meant it as a slight to your apparent lack of experience and, perhaps, age.

If you think that one-way fits all (ie. I do the same landing roll out everytime), you are a real amature. Each and every flight demands analysis, predictions and modifications. This is what a pro does, he (or she, English) weighs out all of the risks and efficiency issues that affect the flight and continuously makes adjustments based on the particular set of circumstances. A go-around is not, in itself, a dangerous maneuver, however if you have the choice between landing safely or going around because some dope doesn't want to use his precious brakes, anyone with half a brain would rather land. Time spent at low altitude in the traffic pattern (especially on VFR days) is enhanced RISK.

I doubt I, or anyone else here tonight, will alter your attitude, but you, son, are the one who's job performance should be analysed.

Ace

Sorry to hear that two pilots are no longer with us.

Hearing that the flight was a post m/x functional check flight should preclude most of the stupid assumptions about it being pilot error.

as for the pissing match between hawkerF/O and others, I agree with hawker in spirit but not in truth. I won't talk to controllers when the call above 80 knots unless they indicate some level of distress. However, I will attempt to make their turn off but I won't talk to them until after I get slowed. Remember. AVIATE, NAVIGATE, and lastly COMMUNICATE.

:)

Controllers are always blabbing to us on the landing rollout. My understanding is they're not supposed to do that. I always do my best to accomodate, but if I am busy I don't talk to him. If I'm handling the radios I'm usually too busy with callouts for the FP to talk to ATC and/or reaching for the tiller so I can get us clear of the runway. I'll do my best, but I do find it annoying sometimes.

90% of the time when we're at ACCELERATION ALTITUDE and calling for flap and thrust settings they ask us to call Departure. Never fails in a million years. It's to the point that we use sign language at busy airports to indicate such things as opposed to getting an arse chewing from ATC for missing a call.

Last edited:
I just quit talking to controllers. They tend to be pushy, talk too much and I just really don't like them.

Now say this in your best "Office Space" voice.

Hawker F/O ...you're right!

I normally don't address the posts I see on these boards, but I feel compelled to come to the defense of Hawker F/O.
He is absolutely right about the runway being his until it's prudent to exit. In my over 41 years pushing tin, I can't remember the number of times the controller would bark instructions to exit the runway because he either had one in position or one on short final. The time to tell someone to have minimum time on the runway is not on the rollout. We are not here to do the controllers job. We have one responsibility and that's the safety of our crew and passengers, not to the passengers on the airplane behind me that may have to make a go around.
Hawker F/O....stay on the runway as long as you need it. I'll adjust to you.

The reality of it is 90% of the "rollout calls" are "Hawker123, exit Alpha, right on Bravo, contact ground on point 9." A student pilot should be able to handle that.

More importantly that should already have been briefed at FL350, 150 miles out!

No one is saying you need to answer the call (till an appropriate time), or even exit the runway, it is your runway after all and that's when "plan B" comes into action "Gulfstream 123, Go Around, Hawker on the runway." Sometimes that's unavoidable, it happens, no big deal. Day in, day out however, let's help everybody do their job.

aeronautic1 said:
Just stopped by to see if there was any information on the Hobby crash. I was sad to see this thread denigrate into so much feldercarb. You guys really need to put down the keyboard and get outside for some sunshine and fresh aire.

Feldercarb, as in Tomfoolery, Folderol, as in "I've never seen so much feldercarb in all my years! Baaaah!" Doesn't anyone remember FDRs famous 1933 speech, in which he said: "My friends, the only thing we need to get all Feldercarbed about is Feldercarb itself!"? Or JFK's famous "Ich Bin Ein Feldercarber" statement?

Freddy Feldercarb.
(Senior Partner, Feldercarb, Feldercarb, & Lutz; Boardmember, Felderco.)

Last edited:
Back to the original topic, I saw the headline on a news website (can't remember which one; was looking over someones shoulder): SMALL AIRPLANE CRASHES AFTER BEING ORDERED TO TAKE OFF. Talk about your nitwit reporting! It made it sound like the poor pilot was made to take off against his will by the big bad controller, and died as a result! I can just see the Dateline investigation with Stone Phillips right around the corner.

Everyone needs to remember that you are responsible for you flight first. If you can help someone out without it putting your passengers or you at risk then by all means do it.

I had a incident many years back that always reminds me to take care of me first. I was flying a KingAir200 and we had 10 souls on board. (fully loaded). I was cleared to land and then the controller told a student pilot that he was cleared for take off. The student did everything right. As the student pilot was about 50ft in the air the controller told me to go around/balked landing. I told him no I have the runway. He yelled at me an told me to go around and side step right. (he had already told to student to turn right after take off.) I finally did the go around which at this point was the most dangerous thing we could have done. While doing the go around I was eating up the cessna and almost hit him.

After I got on the ground I called the controller and had a spirited conversation with him. I asked him if he was trying to kill me. He said he didnt have seperation and if I landed he would have had to right a report. Keep in mind that if I would have landed there would have been no safety issue. The controller agreed but he still said that he would have had to right the report. I just laughed.

If I would have had to do it all over again I would have landed and made him right a report. Dont let a controllers mistake of having to close of seperation compromise your safety.

Latest resources

Back