History repeats itself. Pilots start thinking DOH matters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The NIC award and the recent DL/NWA award are the new standards

Standard or exception I wonder. While I would think everyone would like it to go as seamlessly as that, I think any future mergers will be contentious.

1. If you need to use hyperbole to make a point you already lost the debate.

2. Your scenario is not a merger.

3. Still, you're talking about merging ~60 pilots with over 11,000 pilots. Yes relative seniority still applies. Is your assumption that a 737 Captain cannot bid 777 Captain and be successful? If you're concerned, build a 3-5 year fence and quit crying.

No, I don't think those 60 would be put anywhere close to the top of the new list. Exact relative would not apply. But, they wouldn't be stapled, either. NIC didn't put AWA at the top of the USAir list because they were not exactly alike (both not INTL carriers). NWA and DL were alike, with similar histories, but one had more widebodies etc. Then the arbitrators took into account some of the future retirements at NWA, and created the final list. It all depends on what you bring to the table.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Standard or exception I wonder. While I would think everyone would like it to go as seamlessly as that, I think any future mergers will be contentious.

Exception? Are you talking about TWA with AA? Since then a new law was enacted by the Missouri Senators stating you cannot just staple people to the bottom. (Their constituents in St Louis were screwed obviously)

Can you give me an example of a recent merger of ALPA carriers that wasn't relative seniority? A full merger, not just parts of the airline. At USAir and DL----both groups tried to negotiate their own lists, that failed, and then they went to binding arbitration. If you had a young group (like CAL) going to merge with an older one (UAL), every CAL pilot will demand binding arbitration, (thanks to watching what happened at DL/NWA and USAir). Every UAL pilot will ask for DOH, and will likely lose because of the precedent already set with the first two mergers.

And, every merger is contentious, unless you get a Joint Contract first with pay raises. That takes some of the sting out of a seniority list integration. (SLI) USAir didn't do that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Just playing devils advocate here.

Company ABC starts up with 4 737's. After two years of service they get bought by AMR because AMR is looking for a quick easy increase in lift. The top guy has been at work for 24 months and uses your arguement as stated above and is immediatley looking for the keys to 777 parked at the next gate.

Just saying, you cannot make blanket statements like that, they don't always work.

AA would just staple em like they did with Reno.

Speaking in general terms, the DAL/NWA merger was about as smooth as any I've seen in the past couple of deaces of watching mergers. I think it was the exception and that while it should be held up as a model for future mergers, I don't know if it will.

Speaking in general terms, the DAL/NWA merger was about as smooth as any I've seen in the past couple of deaces of watching mergers. I think it was the exception and that while it should be held up as a model for future mergers, I don't know if it will.

Ditto!

All handled in house. Very quiet. Nice.

Of course you do. That's all Easties can think about. Nevermind the fact that the "ALPA" that has allegedly hurt them so many times over the years are, in fact, themselves.

Go whine to someone who gives a sh*t.

I don't think he is whining. I think he is just having fun getting your blood pressure to spike.:D

How's that "binding thingy" working out? Furloughed yet?

Seniority at a specific company is something that worked during the Industrial Age. Too bad we are well into the Information Age. Perhaps seniority does more harm than good.

Longevity is unequal to seniority.....plain and simple.

Last edited:
Might want to check your facts, hoss.

My stock is worth around 40 grand right now that I got from the merger. It tripled in price from when I got it after the merger (was only 4 bucks a share then..now its right around 13)
Thanks for the factual correction (from you and General Lee). $40K and rising (apparently) is still not bad though. I expect the next industry merger will be pushed with a paycut saying if you don't give up something, you'll give up everything.

Got to respect DAL and NWA pilots for at least getting something out of the deal. And that can't have hurt how smoothly the integration seems to have worked.

Latest resources

Back