Hiring Times ?'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
STLCFII said:
I heard that with regards to hiring times that regionals will take single engine turboprop time the same as multi. Is that true?

nope. remember, it's not about what kind of gas you are burning. it is about controlling a multi-engine plane after you cheese one. you would be better off flying a baron, 310, or duchess for that matter.

a t-prop is not that hard to fly. in fact most find it easier than pistons in many ways.

go get multi-time. anyone who tells you that regionals will accept t-prop single and count it as multi is a moron. get some multi time as soon as you can.

good luck...

Most regionals require the multi time. But here is a little known fact unless your airline has a letter with the local FISDO or they are CMO that accepts this practice and can count SIC time towards PIC time under 121 rules (which can be and has been done, I just don't know which airlines do this.) (I'm also quoting from memory here, so feel free to correct these numbers.)
You need 250 PIC to upgrade, 100 PIC Cross country, 50 PIC night. . . basically, it's the small numbers of a ATP rating that most people forget about, (it's not just 1500 hours). I hear that's what's getting some Pinnacle upgrade captains in trouble. Not the appropriate time coming from their 500 hour wonder pilots. If you don't have those numbers, no upgrade. . . .

STLCFII said:
Hey guys, Thanks for the replies. Here is the link to the plane. It's an experimental 6 seat turboprop in the process of being certified. The guy is also looking at the twin jet version so I probably should try to push him towards that one. The link to it is below. I was told that a SEL Turboprop looked better than multi hours by a Transmeridian FO so maybe he wasn't in the know. Anymore info/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.epicaircraft.com/epic_lt.html

That's a pretty cool looking airplane!

Its a nice plane but...

1. 10 hours of multi will NOT get you a job at most regionals
2. SE Turbo does not substitute for ME time
3. Most airlines frown upon extra flying out side of the company

Mesa's policy on side flying was that you could do it if you had permission from a chief pilot and reported every bit of flying on the side that you did. Unfortunately, the chances of getting that permission were slim to none since, like a most regionals, the nickel and dime managment would rather keep skeleton staffing and work everybody's butt off, instead of properly staffing the airline to where everyone worked about 700-800 hours a year. You can only fly commercially so many hours a year, and if you time out flying a Kingair on the side for Mr. Joe Rich Guy, and come October or so you've maxed out your yearly hours, your airline is going to be pi$$ed. Or, say you have 4 reserve days in a week, and 3 off. On your 3 off, Mr. Joe Rich Guy decides to fly his Kingair down to the Bahamas, so you end up flying 10 hours there and back on your 3 off. Then you show up to work, on reserve, and what a shock, they're short staffed, so they need you to fly a 4 day trip worth 28 hours. Well, you can only do 20 hours of that trip (30 in 7 days) due to your flying with Joe, so you've screwed the airline. This tends to pi$$ off a primary employer that is paying you a salary.

Bottom line, don't count on it. Once you're at the airline, that's it.

Latest resources

Back