• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hiring Mins for CFIs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What are some typical hiring minimums for post college, young CFIs(people who have the CFI, but are looking for their first instructing job) ? Im talking someone who is fresh out of a 4 year aviation university, with ratings through CFII/MEI.

300/350TT is probably the low end of the spectrum. Most probably higher for insurance reasons. I got my first job at 250 though but you may have to relocate.

Minimums.. for CFI? I didn't realize schools set out minimums for a below minimum wage job :)

Usually you shouldn't have a problem getting hired by the school you where trained at. I do know a lot of schools post minimums, but most often waive them if they can't find someone "more qualified". My Helo-CFI got hired with about 200 hours.

At my job (local FBO) if you get your CFI there you get hired the day after your checkride (successful), provided there is an opening for one. No sense in having 30 CFI's witha fleet of 10 planes lol They figure if you get it with them you are already familiar with their training system.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out my options regarding CFI employment once I get done with training. They're about kicking me out of school, they finally caught up with why a guy making 3.6GPA for a Masters degree in AE is taking 3 years to complete 10 classes LOL ...they thought I actually wanted to learn something?!?! LOL..the students love me just because I speak english LOL, my boss hates me, I hate my boss and school, I knew it was gonna happen :D

Talking about hiring mins, I was gung-ho about applying to universities (including the one I dwell in currently) until I found out the only way I could get hired fresh-out would be if I'm one of their in-house bitc- I mean boys, otherwise it's 200 dual CFII just to get the time of day, so much for that, just ridiculous. I thought maybe having a masters degree might mitigate some of that but apparently not....haven't applied in all fairness....but it doesn't look promising.

How do you guys do it? I'd love to relocate but 800-1000/mo is just insane to justify relocation, unless I live at my parents of course (yeah that way ANYBODY can have $800 for a monthly budget..50% housing cost is no cake). I've done the math, it doesn't add up, part-time sure, full time forget it. *slappin' myself repeatedly in the face with a leafy tree branch*

So do you usually need your CFII to get hired? MEI? Certain amount of multi time or instrument time? How difficult is it to get a CFI job?

My university wants 100 dual given and CFII to be hired full-time. Only full-time CFIs get to instruct Instrument & Commercial students in the Arrows. "Upgrade" to MEI is forever (3+ years), as most of the multi students are taught by professors who want to "keep current".

Latest resources

Back