• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hiring Mins for CFIs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got hired at about 300. I think the insurance barely hired me. I wish I could find a good ferry job where I am in addition to instruction.

Cutlass1287 said:
What are some typical hiring minimums for post college, young CFIs(people who have the CFI, but are looking for their first instructing job) ? Im talking someone who is fresh out of a 4 year aviation university, with ratings through CFII/MEI.

As Chief Instructor, dual given tells me more than total time. I'll hire an ink-wet CFI with 0 dual given, as long as he/she got one or more ratings with us. Any other resume with 0 dual given goes to the bottom of the pile. Some of the aviation university graduates fit this description.

We like to develop pilots for the long term, including CFIs. Five of our eight turbine pilots (all PIC qualified) got one or more ratings with us, including a few who started at flight lesson one. We know that a brand new CFI still has a lot to learn (in fact, an old hand CFI has a lot to learn: both of my students today taught me something new), so we have regular workshops and meetings to help everyone along.

I was a 141 Check Instructor at a University in the Midwest. We didn't have hiring minimums, other than having a CFI and a 2nd class medical. We did have minimums built into the TCO to teach various courses (CFII and 100 dual given to teach instrument students, for example). To teach multi engine students, we wanted at least a year of instructing, 800 dual given was preferred, and 50 multi.

see I agree with chriskcmo on that one. I think that's an extremely reasonable AND rewarding policy. I think that enables you to get a foot in the door and establish a reputation while at the same time getting a positive move on your flight experience. Not like most universities where it's "you didn't train here?!?! weeaallll go find 100 dual CFII out of a hat and then talk to us", that's just discouraging; it's somewhat fair though, I didn't pay 90K for my ratings :D TC

I understand advanced training mins and such, but frankly I think it's ridiculous that one has to hamster-wheel it (you know, can't get a job cause don't have experience, can't get experience or buy it cause don't have any money, don't have any money cause don't have a job, can't get a job cause^^^) before a below minimum wage job gives you the time of day..I know I know, we did that to ourselvses...d@mn it I dropped the soap :D

Hey chriskcmo, is that still the current policy at your old outfit or have things taken a turn towards the more common university hiring schenanigans?

Last edited:
hindsight2020 said:
Hey chriskcmo, is that still the current policy at your old outfit or have things taken a turn towards the more common university hiring schenanigans?

As far as I know, its still that way. I know that the Department Chair had talked about making it a requirement to go through our CFI program to be hired, but he's no longer the Chair. So I don't know what will happen. From what I could figure out, the Chief Instructor was against it. I taught at Central Missouri State University. They usually hire half a dozen or so CFI's in August, so send them your resume and a cover letter.

Goose Egg said:
250 and a pulse (as faint as it may be.)

-Goose

How about just a pulse. If most flight school's insurance requires just a private pilot license to fly a 172, then why would there be minimums for a CFI.

Latest resources

Back