Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: NO Imigrants!!!! go home!!!

cvoav8r said:
They should stop immigration now. There are too many Americans out of work. GO HOME IMMIGRANTS. :mad:

You are a total jackass!! This country was built on immigration, the only true American (if you want to be totally correct, are the native Americans).

You are just blaming someone else for what you don't have, why don't you pitch in with women, the colored minorities etc. I flew for european airlines and we had plenty of Americans, Canadians and Aussies flying for us, but not at the expense of someone who was more qualified for the position. To even emply that resident green card holders should be barred from certain positions (holders can join the armed forces and fight for the USA) is pathetic. Do some research on the subject and educate yourself!!

Oh and before you ask, yes I am a Citizen.

Well Catyaaak, Race is not my "thing", but I am comfortable with it. And I believe that you cannot fix a problem unless you seek the source of it. So, lets speak openly. I dont like it anymore than the next guy to have someone taking my job, foreign or domestic. I will support any legislation to protect our rights to work. HOWEVER, when Capt. Redneck meets his copilot from Ireland, you CANNOT tell me the first impression Capt Redneck has is " what as a$$hole, he is stealing my job!" I bet any money that the conversation goes more about Guinness than it is about green card. Whats between the lines here is that, when ignorant people write about things like" Go Home, green card holders can only work at Mcdonalds,etc...." , they are applying their general stereotype of lowly trained, non-english speaking workers images for professional pilots. Its not about race, its about whats between the lines. But of course, anything about race is taboo. I am sorry if I hit a sensitive spot.

It is somehow interesting that in the 5 years we have been living here every single American I have meet was just way too friendly (except that one guy with whom I got into a roadrage but I doubt he knew where I was from). I keep receiving questions about Europe and everyone is always interested to locate my little tiny country in his/her brain with mostly limited success.

soooo... trying to say that if you are a dickinson, than regardless where you are from, eventually people will treat you accordingly. If you are at least trying to be friendly being an immigrant often will make you more interesting and it will be just one more topic to talk about. It is all about attitudes.

huncowboy said:
I keep receiving questions about Europe and everyone is always interested to locate my little tiny country in his/her brain with mostly limited success.
Along those lines, what's the funniest thing any of you have been asked about where you're from? My sister and I have a 'list' of the funniest/stupidest questions we've been asked over the past ten years. Some of the good ones:

* Do they speak English In England?
* Do you celebrate Christmas in England?
* How did you get here? (Well, we tried to swim....)
* Did you have to learn a new language to come here?
* Say something in the language of your country. (errr ok...)
* I have a cousin, last name Brown, who lives in a little village in Scotland...have you heard of him?

The language questions that repeatedly come up are the funniest, especially when people realise what they just asked!

Ailerongirl,

Good of you to lighten up this thread.

The best one I have been asked is

"Have you ever actually met a leprechaun?"

:eek:

IF

Trash8Mofo said:
Well Catyaaak, Race is not my "thing", but I am comfortable with it. And I believe that you cannot fix a problem unless you seek the source of it. So, lets speak openly. I dont like it anymore than the next guy to have someone taking my job, foreign or domestic. I will support any legislation to protect our rights to work. HOWEVER, when Capt. Redneck meets his copilot from Ireland, you CANNOT tell me the first impression Capt Redneck has is " what as a$$hole, he is stealing my job!" I bet any money that the conversation goes more about Guinness than it is about green card. Whats between the lines here is that, when ignorant people write about things like" Go Home, green card holders can only work at Mcdonalds,etc...." , they are applying their general stereotype of lowly trained, non-english speaking workers images for professional pilots. Its not about race, its about whats between the lines. But of course, anything about race is taboo. I am sorry if I hit a sensitive spot.

You say what you wrote is "not about race", but rather "what's between the lines". Then you immediately imply "what's between the lines" is racist attitudes. So goes your circular arguments to support a card-house position.

In your childish effort to elevate yourself, you purport know what other people think and assign them hypothetical, racist attitudes to win a straw-man argument....your imaginary "Capt. Redneck" is the culprit in this case. Of course, you claiming to have some magic ability to "read between the lines" of what motivates others is essential to your little excersise, since you can provide no actual proof except applying your own prejudices to what you THINK someone else meant. How convenient. And by doing this, of course, you can smugly tell yourself how "enlightened" you are compared to all the "racists" you imagine surround you.

Personally I couldn't care less about race, therefore it's not a sensitive issue to me, and your comfort I certainly don't care about. "Race" of course isn't a taboo subject, but if you think blindly accusing others of being racist with no proof just because it fits into your imaginary, lamo Hollywood B-movie version of people is somehow something more than childish race-baiting, then I doubt your views on the subject are anything more than superficial at best.

I do, however, I find such unsubstantiated accusations and character assasinations of anyone offensive. You seem to bandy it about pretty easily. But it's obvious you hold as many stereotypes and prejudices as your go-to-in-a-debate-guy, "Capt. Redneck", which is no suprise, since you invented him. Hopefully, if you have a daughter poetic justice and my sense of comic irony will be served by her marrying someone just like him.

I am an American as was my father, and my grandfather. However my great grandfather was a German immagrant and my grandmother was a British immigrant. They came to the US becuase they wanted to better themselves and the US. Lucky for them there were places willing to hire them. There are many non US citizens fighting in Iraq right now with a US patch on their shoulder, but we won't allow them to become citizens. While I will admit we should certainly restrict hiring from outside the US ranks (NO FRENCHIES), I do not think we should cut off our, British, Australian, Polish, and Dutch brothers.

You really think you have "brothers" among the Australian, Polish, and dutch PEOPLE just because their respective governments decided to make a deal with the current US admnistration. Just visit those countries and say that you supported the war in Irak and we 'll see how you will be welcomed by your "brothers"..
good luck, especially if you go to Spain..

saviboy said:
You really think you have "brothers" among the Australian, Polish, and dutch PEOPLE just because their respective governments decided to make a deal with the current US admnistration. Just visit those countries and say that you supported the war in Irak and we 'll see how you will be welcomed by your "brothers"..
good luck, especially if you go to Spain..

ok so how about walking here in the USA and 50% of the people will hate you if you support Bush? :eek: you'll find two camps on this issue everywhere. Poland, Spain, or USA... doesn't matter.

Them: Oooh your British. I love your accent. Say something...
Me: Okay "Something".

But I never get tired - I've travelled the world over and nothing beats the US. Not just quality of life. Not the freedom. Not even the beauty.

It is the people.

Everyone I meet here is kind, polite and educated. There are low iq's and exceptions to the rule, but generally even those folks have at least some redeeming qualities. This is not so in other countries. Trust me on this.

So I accept the views of those on this thread and understand how they might feel. But I am no longer surprised to see concise and well thought out responses such as Ray's and others.

I read about courageous service men and women that are of this country, irrespective of their place of birth. Pat Tillman and his fellow comrades in harms way. This is the stuff of America. For the most part, this entire thread is a big reason I am proud and thankfull to call it my home. Democracy, freedom, liberty and equality.

these are true examples of what people asked me...

lady at tuxedo shop, after finding out american sizes and european (read south african) sizes are different:" well just go to a drycleaners and have them...uh....do you have drycleaners in africa?"

american:"hi, heard your accent, where you from?"
me :"South Africa"
american :"Africa?.....but....youre white?"

american:"do the lions walk in the streets?"

or :" does the rhino attach the impala?"

sigh, guess its ok, since I dunno how ice hockey works!
:eek: :D

Latest resources

Back