Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

Hi
a friend of mine had a job with a major airline and failed the training about 6-7 months ago.
since then he is flying back with our ailrine and is now looking for a job with a regional.
He had a first interview where the question about failing training was not brought up and he got hired.
He is wondering what he should say if the question comes up in the other interview that he is getting next week.
thanks

The Truth

Leaving a Major Airline to go to a Regional Airline (barring furlough) will raise questions with the interviewers due to the fact that it doesn't seem like a "natural progression."

If the individual lies about the "reason for leaving" or the failed training event, that is grounds for termination at the new employer.

If hired, the friend will need to complete PRIA -- Pilot Record Improvement Act. As such, all training records are discoverable by the potential employer. If the friend does not fully disclose his reason for leaving/training failure, it is grounds for termination at the new employer.

Be honest. Own up to the mistake. Explain how what was learned from the process.

Not everyone has a perfect background. It is what you do with the less than perfect background and how you handle the adversity sets individuals apart.

Tell you friend Good Luck.

What did they do to fail training? Don't the airlines let you come back and redo the sim ride you busted? I know pilots that got two and even three chances where i used to work. It must have been something bad or there was a pattern of bad decisions.

This is an anonymous board, can you give detail as to why he/she failed training?

Failing training isn't the coup de grace if it's a single event. You didn't mention whether it was new-hire training or not? If it was new-hire training, MOST majors will give you a 2nd chance at it with retraining IF he had a good attitude and it wasn't something HUGE that he failed.

If it's not new-hire training and it was 3 failed events that get you fired which is what it sounds like (most union contracts give you 3 strikes you're out), then he'd better have a d*mned good excuse for it (death in family, divorce, etc). Otherwise, ANY airline will question not only his flying skills but his judgment in not studying properly (or calling off the training until his personal life was in order), or his work ethic (again for not studying and preparing properly).

No "the instructor was after me" excuses; that sh*t won't fly. Taking personal ownership for the failure, explaining EXACTLY why and how it WILL NOT happen again in the future, and having some time and some passed training events between the firing and the new job interview are the only things that will heal this.

Having lots of internal recommendations will help as well.

Good luck to your friend, next time maybe he'll prepare better.

Just give up now.

Just kidding...I busted my Comm ME IA check and my CFI. I realize that I am in fact a loser:beer: but hey it sure beats quitting.

With all the pilots out there looking for a job with a spotless record, why would a reputable airline take a chance on someone with a blemish on their record. Besides, training at a major isn't hard at all. Your "friend" must have issues. It is your "friend" isn't it and not really "you"?

UPSer said:
With all the pilots out there looking for a job with a spotless record, why would a reputable airline take a chance on someone with a blemish on their record. Besides, training at a major isn't hard at all. Your "friend" must have issues. It is your "friend" isn't it and not really "you"?

UPSer is TheGuat, Rhoid, RJDC, FreightNazi, ABXpert, IHaveAPension, OUT, 410Dude, GuppyKiller, TheGuppyKiller, E170GuppyKiller, TheMissingLink, LucyFurr and many other previously banned usernames.

During the height of the hiring boom in late '99 & up until 911, this scenario developed at SWA. A friend I went through type school with went through training at SWA, failed to successfully complete his IOE. SWA & he departed ways with all due respect, he entered civilian flying by getting hired shortly after that with a fractional (he explained his failure directly & without any hesitation...SWA didn't badmouth him either). He developed a great reputation there flying jets and collecting flying time with a reputable carrier.

He re-applied to SWA 18 months later, was interviewed & accepted AGAIN to enter SWA's hiring pool. Shortly after getting the call from the PD he was in the pool he got a subsequent phone call. Unfortunately there was a gotcha & a lesson to be learned for all.

When he filled out his app (the first time in '99) he had failed to include a minor incident involving a legal matter(someone advised him not to put it down!!!), truly minor in his mind and since he got hired without it on his record the first time, he elected to not include it the next time. Made sense to him (at the time.) However, when he reapplied, the background checks were being done differently & more thoroughly...he was tentatively hired and after having gotten the call that he was hired, he was notified a few weeks later after a more thorough background check, he had failed to include this "little legal matter" on the application & the job offer was rescinded.

Moral of the story; always be honest when you fill out the app, document everything and that one mistake in an aviation career, even a failure during training, won't kill you on an interview (that ax murder thing might be the exception though:rolleyes: ) but not being truthful, 100% of the time can bite you. He's a great guy & would've been a good match for SWA but sometimes "things" can conspire against even best laid plans. Food for thought but don't let a single stumble keep you from repairing the damage with a straight forward approach.

UPSer said:
With all the pilots out there looking for a job with a spotless record, why would a reputable airline take a chance on someone with a blemish on their record.

Because the person with the blemish on their record might have the type of personality the airline is looking for. He/she could be type of person you wouldn't mind spending a four day trip with. On the other hand, the person with a spotless checkride record might be someone who is an excellent pilot, but has the sense of humor and personality of a tree stump....

Latest resources

Back