• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

High Tension Van Rides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There have been rare cases of the President not signing an agreement, but those are extreme cases. The most recent case that I can remember would be the CCAir case, in which the agreement was negotiated by the CCAir MEC outside of the requirements set by the Constitution & By-Laws for concessionary agreements. Basically, they negotiated a concessionary contract with JO, but JO refused to show any evidence that MAG actually needed the concessions. ALPA doesn't give concessionary contracts without proof that the corporation actually needs it. So, with the MEC acting outside of the bounds set by the C & BLs, Captain Woerth refused to sign the contract.

ALPA doesn't give concessionary contracts without proof that the corporation actually needs it. So, with the MEC acting outside of the bounds set by the C & BLs, Captain Woerth refused to sign the contract.
So ALPA National has the final say? It's not the MEC or pilots at the airline in question that get to determine what is best for them? It was my understanding that ALPA is a "toolbox" for us to use. If SkyWest votes in ALPA we'll get the tools, but must we also accept the same rules that affected the CCAir pilots? Is there a "master set" of rules that must be followed just by being ALPA? Rules that come as part of the ALPA "package"? Does each pilot group get to vote on which of the C & BLs we choose to follow or is it all or nothing?

An honest thanks!

So ALPA National has the final say? It's not the MEC or pilots at the airline in question that get to determine what is best for them? It was my understanding that ALPA is a "toolbox" for us to use. If SkyWest votes in ALPA we'll get the tools, but must we also accept the same rules that affected the CCAir pilots? Is there a "master set" of rules that must be followed just by being ALPA? Rules that come as part of the ALPA "package"? Does each pilot group get to vote on which of the C & BLs we choose to follow or is it all or nothing?

An honest thanks!

The MEC does have the final say on what is best for their pilot group. The president makes sure that the CBLs were followed. Remember that any president is just an administrator (hence the word adminstration being followed by the name of the current president). His/her job is to make sure ALPA is following the CBLs and the Adminstrative Manual.

ALPA not only provides the "toolbox" but also the structure. They are called the Constitution & By-Laws along with the Administrative Manual. There is a link on the SkywestALPA.org website.
http://www.skywestalpa.org/documents/ALPA.Constitution.and.Bylaws.pdf

Yes, if ALPA is successful in the Skywest drive, it will mean that you have accepted to abide by the CBLs and the AM. Each local council representative can vote on CBL amendments just as each MEC chairman can also through the Executive Board. Any pilot can submit a proposed amendment through their Executive Vice President or LEC or MEC. Its all spelled out for you in the CBL.

Without the CBLs and AM, you would have anarchy.

Last edited:

An honest thanks!

I'm sorry, but are you actually suggesting that you might want to negotiate concessions when they aren't needed? As Nevets said, the C & BLs provide structure and prevent anarchy. They provide a very wide berth for MECs to operate as they see fit, but there has to be at least a little structure to prevent chaos. The Bylaws are very reasonable, and a case of the President not signing a CBA is an extremely rare occurrence.

Yes, if ALPA is successful in the Skywest drive, it will mean that you have accepted to abide by the CBLs and the AM.
Without the CBLs and AM, you would have anarchy.
So are they (CBLs and AM) like 121 Op Specs that are all kinda the same no matter where you are? Is there a link to the "standard" ALPA CBL's? This is something that has not yet been addressed by our OC, that is what we get (rules, what we can/can't do) if we vote in ALPA.

The Constitution and ByLaws are available on the skywestalpa.org website.

So are they (CBLs and AM) like 121 Op Specs that are all kinda the same no matter where you are? Is there a link to the "standard" ALPA CBL's? This is something that has not yet been addressed by our OC, that is what we get (rules, what we can/can't do) if we vote in ALPA.

The CBLs and AM apply to all ALPA represented airlines. Here is a link to the CBLs.

http://www.skywestalpa.org/documents/ALPA.Constitution.and.Bylaws.pdf

Its a constitution. It spells out the rules that ALPA is to abide by. Parliamentary type of stuff. Read it for yourself and you'll what I'm talking about.

Was it really tense, or is it possible everybody was tired and really had nothing to say? I feel no obligation to talk to anyone, though I feel socially comfortable striking up a conversation about nothing--sometimes I'm just thinking about other things. And while the OMA crew was not me, don't take it so personally...

If it's oh dark 30 I'm not saying jack..... (not a morning person)
unless one of their Flight attendants has big tits and is hot.........

Captzaahlie, where did you get that picture? I think I flew with that guy last week.

Damn looks like my son was skipping pre-school again! :eek:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back