High school kids

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ttracey60

One more time, this is the old guy, retired highschool teacher, and pilot.

I realize that this is not a forum on education. However, if you folks will allow me to, I need to respond to a gentleman who posted a response to my original " Airplanes and Kids " posting, wherein he states that the youngster she coaches during the summers are so neat, good, and motivated.

I'm sure they are. Good for him. Those young people are the cream of the crop. He's lucky to be working with them. I'm sure they're there because they want to be. They're the kind of youngsters that make a man proud.

Now, lets examine the other side of that issue. Let that same gentleman teach in a public high school in this state or any other state of his choice. Most of those kids are not there because they want to be. They have to go to school. If they're in special education, our government dictates that they can stay in public school until their 23rd birthday. Are men and women that age children? No they aren't.

Let that guy handle 20 students per hour, seven hours a day that are constantly strung out on narcotics. That have no problem with shooting and stabbing each other at school. That sell narcotics in the hallways and rape students in the bathrooms.
That physically and verbally abuse teaching staff every hour of every day.

Here in New Mexico, that kind of stuff NEVER makes the newspaper. It happens every day in lots of high schools in the state!

How about telling me those kinds of kids were common years ago? I know that guys wrong. I did it for 36 years before I retired.

Combine that with parents who don't care, won't make their little darlings behave, and blame all that crap on teachers. In a meeting a few years back, I had one " Mommy ", who slept with most of the men in town, go so far as to state that not only was it the fault of every teacher her 15 year old demented son ever had, but it was also the doctors fault, that delivered that animal, that he was completely insane. She had even prepared a list of all of us who had ruined her son's personality. The only two people who weren't on it were " Mommy" and " Daddy". Heck, I'm willing to pass the blame along. All those doctors that delivered all those little lunatics are the ones to blame. Leave us old schoolteachers alone.

Throw in school administrators that are afraid to confront parents, won't back their teachers, and will do anything to keep their own jobs - at the expense of everyone else involved.

I grew up in Roswell, New Mexico. When I misbehaved in high school, I got my rear end warmed up, and when my Dad found out about it, I got my rear end busted again.

We don't DARE do that to a high schooler now days. They've all got their civil rights, you know. They also have this thing called a psyche. Can't do anything to damage their psyche. Might damage their personalities for life.

My old Chemistry from my high school days didn't know about psches, but he darned sure knew how to make me shut up and behave with that big oak paddle. I love him to this day. To heck with the psyche.

I, for some strange reason, already knew how to read, write, and perform mathematical calculations before I got to high school. I know, us kids down there in Roswell were just so gifted we knew how to do our school work and no one else in the U.S. knew how. If you believe that, I've also got the Golden Gate Bridge for sale - cheap!!!!!

High schools now are war zones, not schools.

Am I old and burned out?

Yes I am.

I stick by my position. Most kids are not what they were years ago. I doubt that years ago, the high schools, nationwide, were producing graduates that were completely illiterate, in fantastic numbers.

Wake up, buddy, your swim team is NOT typical of high schooler stoday.

Am I missing something?

is this a misplaced response to another tread,?

More qualified teachers are certainly needed.

However, who wants to teach in those conditions and get paid like $hit? Conditions for new teachers are comparable to those of a new CFI.

The poster managed to insult parents, children, teachers, schools, the government, and just about everything else under the sun, in one post. He's burned out and angry at the world. It's all bad.

As a parent with four kids, I don't expect the schools to do the parenting. I submit that I do a darn fine job. My kids aren't murdering, killing, or raping each other or teachers. They do well, they enjoy school. They're in public school. Go figure.

uwochris said:
Conditions for new teachers are comparable to those of a new CFI.

Are you kidding me? I would love to get paid a year's salary for nine months of work. Holidays off, benefits, etc. Teachers knew what they were getting into when they started, they had to student teach before they got their job; I should know my wife was a teacher. I work with several school districts and have never met any one group (with the exception of Dr.'s) that whines as much about everything.

Thank the teacher's unions.

Last edited:
A teacher should not be discussing pay with his or her students... and school is not the place for that conversation

Teachers make out OK on pay

From the time I left the Navy in 1977, I never made more than my school teacher sister until about three years ago, Michigan one of those high paying teacher salary states. I was a high school Chemistry teacher for awhile while I was between jobs, and it is not a bad life style you are done every day at 2:30, get lots of time off. And teachers never get laid off after they have tenure, they have a solid retirement, and great benfits. That is something you will not find in many pilot positions.

tttracy60,

got news for you bro...New Mexico is a dump.
drunk Indians and rowdy Mexicans.

Quit all your complaining, hookup the trailer, and move if you cant beal with the problems.

99% of us dont live anywhere like you describe.

The world is NOT falling apart, kids are NOT all killing each other, beating up teachers, or selling drugs. I got news for you, kids today are WAY smarter than years ago. They are computer and tech savy. YES, they like things NOW (internet, overnight fedex) but whats so wrong about that??

Oh I know, 17 miles to school in a snowstorm uphill both ways.....yeah... yeah but a SMART kid would rather ride in a cozy Range Rover or just stay home and surf the web..

It's the Fu#$ing lawyers.

School administrators are too wrapped up in lawsuit avoidance to care about student interests. Our legal system and the greed of the typical scumbag lawyer has turned many things into a sham from aircraft manufacturing to school administration. The legal profession now specializes in placing a dollar amount on events that have no monetary value and no true negligence.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back