• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

High Density Altitude/Heavy hauler

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Erickson has two verisions of the skycrane, one can lift 20000 and the other 25000. Columbia also has a Chinook that can handle 28000...

That K-MAX could haul a buttload of logs, that's for sure. One thing that was interesting with it was, when the rotors just started turning at takeoff, it looked like it was going to shake itself and the pilot apart. As the rotor speed picked up, everything smoothed out.
I still haven't found out just what we are using yet.
gawd that thing is ugly ;)
You think that's bad? http://homepages.wwc.edu/student/jorgbr/pics.htm This one looks like it plowed through a parade of clowns:p .

Last edited:
That German K-MAX is pretty dang ugly. The way you're describing the aircraft shaking below max rotor RPM sounds like a tracking issue. For some reason or another, the way the rotors are tracked puts a large vibration at certain lower RPM, but at 100% it's smooth. I've flown Chinooks that do the exact same thing. At GND IDLE, it shakes so badly that you can barely read the instruments. As you move the ECL's to FLIGHT it gets worse, then as the rotor gets up into the green it becomes smooth as silk.

You can get the basic weight of a chinook down to around 25K and its traditional certified max gross of 50K gives you 25K to play with. If you are talking sling loads I think 25K was the certified max. But I'm old so not positive.

Routinely flew 2000GAl water buckets long line for fire suppression. Think those babies oushed 18K loaded.

Latest resources

Back