High Density Altitude/Heavy hauler

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

westwind

A few years ago, we contracted a Sikorsky Skycrane to install lift towers at my place of work. If memory serves, it operated at over 11,000', with a density altitude of maybe 12,500' or so, while taking a max load of 5,000 to 6,000 lbs.
It looks like we will be doing a lot of work this summer at an altitude of 12,800' with a DA estimated to be over 14,000' I always thought that the Skycrane was the 800 lb Gorilla in this game, but our Lift's Manager said (over a beer or three;) ) that he is bringing in something with even more lifting capability. Enlighten me on what is out there that can do this job. Thanks

the Skycrane can lift some 15000lbs.... (**edit: according to one source)

The Mi-26 has the greatest lifting capacity of any helicopter of ~44000 lbs.

There are some inbetween, but the only one i can think of right now is the Sikorsky SA-64F with a lifting capacity of ~24300 lbs. (**edit, according to another source - the SA-64 IS the skycrane, btw - sorry for the screwup).

Last edited:
Hmmm. That SA-64 in your link looks identical to the machine we used for our last lift installation. Orange, named "Bubba", kinda big (duh!), spittin' image for the one on the movie "Swordfish". I have video of it in action, but need to transfer it to digital and find somebody to host it. http://news4colorado.com/localnews/local_story_020124311.html/resources_storyPrintableView
This is the project that was recently given the go-ahead. No tree cutting for this one. It's all above tree-line. Should be an interesting project.
Previous lift installations required some helicopter logging over wetlands, once with a Kaman K-Max and once with a Bell 214 (If I remember correctly).
I kinda figured that there was some crazy Soviet-era hardware out there that bested American helicopters. Is anybody operating the Rooskie stuff over here?

hmm.. i didn't notice that... The sikorsky SA-64 IS the skycrane.... Can't believe i screwed that up. I also don't know why i have 2 different max weights on it. I looked it up on 2 different sources.

Sorry 'bout that ;)

Any chance he's talking about bringing in a Chinook? They have exceptional lift capabilitites even at high density altitudes.

He didn't mention the Chinook. We have used the Chinook in the past, but it was quite some time ago. I'll try and get a straight answer from him without the beers next time.

westwind said:
It looks like we will be doing a lot of work this summer at an altitude of 12,800' with a DA estimated to be over 14,000' I always thought that the Skycrane was the 800 lb Gorilla in this game, but our Lift's Manager said (over a beer or three;) ) that he is bringing in something with even more lifting capability. Enlighten me on what is out there that can do this job. Thanks

Probably the K-Max. It's got some pretty impressive lift capability. Counter rotating intermeshing main rotors. Do a Google search for Kaman K-Max and you should be able to find info about it.

Latest resources

Back