• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey look, Delta wants to add service to Dallas Love Field

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree! Look at Eastern and Pan Am, they ran out of money and were gone. Today you go to the legacy airline car wash known as bankruptcy and we have to compete with that bullish!t, unbelievable!!!:angryfire

Yea, I used to remember seeing this exact sort of stuff espoused by Robert Crandall, CEO of AA when they were at the top of their game, almost word for word. Times change, obviously, and king of the hill never stays there long.
Change, adapt, or perish seems to be the order of the day. I see many a canyon-blue yet to fully embrace the single engine taxi, yet it's a proven money saver especially for an airline of that size. Any thoughts as to why?

There will probably be some RJs involved, but at least some of it will be done with 717s

Any damm fool knows ya can't make any money with a 717- It's been posted right here on FI many times. I guess R. Anderson doesn't read FI what an idiot

I know it wasn't Bill's or Flops decision, but to come on here and cry foul about slot auctions is laughable. How many slots does a combined CAL/UA, NW/DL, US/AA need? All of them?

I guess I'm misunderstanding the 2 gates at DLF. These two gates are intended to correspond to flights to slot controlled airports only? In this case DCA and LGA, is that right?

Do you really think the business world is suppose to be fair. Everybody is out to make money. You do what you have to do to succeed. Nobody said life is fair. Your lost is somebody else's gain. Life is like that. You drop the ball and somebody else picks it up and runs. That is the way it goes. You need to talk to somebody so you can get some help. You have some problems you need to attend too.

Delta is not "dropping the ball". SWA [or any other LCC] is not "picking it up". DOJ is taking the ball from Delta and is going to hand it to a LCC. (more than likely SWA) That's as closely aligned with your description of "life" as your diagnosis of me. You're 180 degrees off the mark on both.

Of course life and business isn't suppose to be fair. I completely agree. But for DOJ to specifically say a legacy airline should not or will not get to compete is a real problem.

Last edited:
Delta is not "dropping the ball". SWA is not "picking it up". DOJ is taking the ball from Delta and is going to hand it to an LCC. (more than likely SWA) that is as closely aligned with your description of "life" as your diagnosis of me. You're completely wrong.

Of course life and business isn't suppose to be fair. I completely agree. But for DOJ to specifically say a legacy airline should not or will not get to compete is a real problem.

Like I said, that is life. Move on because 50 years from now it won't make a difference because you probably won't be here. If you are not happy where you are then find another place to be. People are getting tired of listening to you. You should do what Lear70 did and just fade away. You will feel better.

Any damm fool knows ya can't make any money with a 717- It's been posted right here on FI many times. I guess R. Anderson doesn't read FI what an idiot
Don't take it personal, it's just business! It's not that you can't make money with a 717, it's what airframe can you make more money with? For the SWA business model that question has always been answered with the 737.

"By reaching this agreement, Gary said that we will avoid converting the AirTran 717 fleet into Southwest as part of the AirTran integration. The Company?s aircraft rent expense associated with Boeing 717s will be eliminated as each aircraft is transitioned to Delta. The Company's total estimated AirTran acquisition and integration costs are expected to increase by approximately $50 million as a result of the aircraft transition costs assumed by the Company as part of this 717 agreement. The Company's annual pre-tax results are expected to benefit by approximately $200 million, after all Boeing 717s are transitioned to Delta and replaced with Boeing 737 flying."

Last edited:
I'll take 'what is worth 200 million dollars' for the lead.

And the answer was: "by not paying the AT 737 pilots the same payrates as their new counterparts, the savings and now disloyalty equals..."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
And the answer was: "by not paying the AT 737 pilots the same payrates as their new counterparts, the savings and now disloyalty equals..."

Bye Bye---General Lee
That equals a union deciding they didn't want a deal which included pay parity from date of signing.

That equals a union deciding they didn't want a deal which included pay parity from date of signing.

And Howard gets the answer right. The point being that SW saves by NOT flying the 717. Equals more than 200 million, every year. General, your shtick is old and really not even relevant. Got something new?

Latest resources

Back