• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Hey Eagle WTF is up with the ERJ Struts!

BrickTop

I'm always grateful for a ride home and to work on Eagle and the crews are always very pleasant. I usually end up in an exit row or somewhere over the spar and have progressively noticed a hideous squeaking and banging from the landing gear. I used to fly the ERJ for CHQ and we never had this much noise coming from the struts except when deplaning as load is released on the gear. It sounds like old dried out poly bushings on a rusted boat trailer. The noise has become normal to me but it seems to get worse every week.

samballs

Total Time
I'm always grateful for a ride home and to work on Eagle and the crews are always very pleasant. I usually end up in an exit row or somewhere over the spar and have progressively noticed a hideous squeaking and banging from the landing gear. I used to fly the ERJ for CHQ and we never had this much noise coming from the struts except when deplaning as load is released on the gear. It sounds like old dried out poly bushings on a rusted boat trailer. The noise has become normal to me but it seems to get worse every week.
CHQ'S are the worse.

The Drizzle

I is a Airline Pilot!
Total Time
CHQ'S are the worse.

CHQ seems to go in cycles, same with the howlin' mad brakes. I've gone about a year without either, but I know the noises will crop up in a few months time and last until the cycle repeats.

CX880

Total Time

It's normal. They're also handy when you have a hard landing. I had one and one of the pax as he was walking out said something like the struts are horrible on this airplane. LOL.

The Boss

Total Time
That noise can't be heard up front. It makes it hard to write something up when you don't know that it's happening.

Salukipilot4590

IS WE ON TV?
Total Time
Thats what the iPod is for!

Kinda hard to hear creaking from row 12 when you're rockin' out to some Chili Peppers!

OPECJet

Total Time
The TSA did it.

spudskier

Total Time
<enuf
seriously, I ride CHQ and XJT home a LOT... always does it. (almost always) very typical of the ERJs.

(P.S. thnx to those who are getting me home every week)

crj567

Too little coconut oil.... Those beaners have no idea how to build an airplane!

spudskier

Total Time
<enuf
mm yeah, the brazilians can't air condition a plane properly, and the canucks can't get a plane to climb with anti-ice on (or really climb much at all) go figure

crj567

mm yeah, the brazilians can't air condition a plane properly, and the canucks can't get a plane to climb with anti-ice on (or really climb much at all) go figure

Ever fly the E-120? Yeah.... I didn't think so. If you had you would have probably developed a less-than-positive image of that beaner-hell-hole!

-Compared to that little aluminum death-trap, the CRJ is the shizzle! You have to have some perspective......

Speedtape

Total Time
enough
In the E120 it usually meant that the strut was bottoming out while taxing around. It can be caused by underserviced nose struts, forward CG, or a combination of the two.

Hard landings--dropping the nose, or landing on it can contribute to it as it wears on the parts.

That can be repaired, usually easily with a nitrogen charge. However, if it is not written up, it will never get fixed.

In the E120, you could always feel it and hear it.