• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey Colgan!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
isn't the big boss over at ALPA a 777 capt for Continental?

As for CJC (PCL) management, it seems to me, that, if you have no intention of screwing us, you would not care if there was a union.

I don't know if a lot of the anti-union people really understand how much better their lives could be. Colgan pilots would go NUTS for some of the most basic things that people at unionized carriers take for granted.

yeah like calling in sick.... I have not because I am worried that i will get yelled at and screw over my mates since we don't have reserve. Also, is it illegal for a scheduler to ask what is wrong?

yeah like calling in sick.... I have not because I am worried that i will get yelled at and screw over my mates since we don't have reserve. Also, is it illegal for a scheduler to ask what is wrong?

That's a good question. I know the dispatch lines are recorded so they can be pulled if need be. At my last employer the crew scheduling lines were recorded as well. So pretty much once you called in "sick" it was game over.
Its really irrelevant because the liability is so high in the event of a mishap.

There are two sides, actually three sides, to this story. First, at any airline people abuse the sick time as a way of lengthening time off. They make it bad for all of us that don't abuse the system. Second, we have no commuting clause or personal days so your only option when the fourth flight you've tried to get on is oversold is to call out sick. Third, 9 out of 10 times our reserve coverage is not in a position to be able to cover a sick call with a reasonable amount of lead time.

I guess the flip side to this is that since we all know each other at our outstations we tend to "cover" for each other. On one or two occasions I've traded work days to prevent sick calls. Scheduling was always good about making the changes at midnight with no paperwork to make it work.

Last edited:

Ditto!

I wonder how that works, you have to stay 10 feet away from people at the pharmacy, shouldn't the company have to respect privacy?

I think they try they just are well-informated about privacy laws. It is the small company family syndrom still in effect. O well.... I will just clean the yoke real good for you all!!!!

Reminds me of the guy that called in sick and "was not" pressured into reversing the call. When scheduling called him less than an hour later he was in the emergency room so they further "didn't" pressure him by telling him he was being taken off the schedule indefinately.

"Come on I----, I swear, well he means
Ah come on let's take off everything,
That pretty red dress I---- (Tell him yes)
Ah come on let's, ah come on I----, please."

I think they try they just are well-informated about privacy laws. It is the small company family syndrom still in effect. O well.... I will just clean the yoke real good for you all!!!!

I really wouldn't discuss a reason for a sick call with a scheduler anyway it if was personal. I can see having to explain myself to the chief pilot or to the director of ops but not a crew scheduler. I might volunteer what the issue is, (puking all night...etc...etc...) but I think if I was asked I would just tell them to have the chief pilot contact me if he has any concerns. (I haven't called out in well over a year.)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back