Hey all you PFTers!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So just to clarify,

Southwest requires you to have a 73 type, so dudes go out in drones to buy a type at some place and fork up 5 to 10k.

I got hired in 95 at CHQ and had to pay for the type.

If I had gone out to some place and gotten the type and then got hired at CHQ, would I then not be a PFT, just as the Guys at southwest?

Or maybe you say, southwest requires you to have the type to show competitive quals. So by that reasoning CHQ could have required to have a J31 type to be qualified, go get it before you are even considered? Would that have been better?

We can go 'round and 'round but it is just a fundamentally flawed discussion. It's a free market economy, supply and demand

Back in the '90 almost al companies had PFT because the supply exceeded the demand, it's called a free market economy.

For all hate PFT types, next time you see a southwest guy, go over, kick him in the b..ls, and tell him you hate pft, make sure you mention your name to him though

Last edited:
So just to clarify,

Southwest requires you to have a 73 type, so dudes go out in drones to buy a type at some place and fork up 5 to 10k.

I got hired in 95 at CHQ and had to pay for the type.

If I had gone out to some place and gotten the type and then got hired at CHQ, would I then not be a PFT, just as the Guys at southwest?

Or maybe you say, southwest requires you to have the type to show competitive quals. So by that reasoning CHQ could have required to have a J31 type to be qualified, go get it before you are even considered? Would that have been better?

We can go 'round and 'round but it is just a fundamentally flawed discussion. It's a free market economy, supply and demand

Back in the '90 almost al companies had PFT because the supply exceeded the demand, it's called a free market economy.

For all hate PFT types, next time you see a southwest guy, go over, kick him in the b..ls, and tell him you hate pft, make sure you mention your name to him though

SWA is not PFT. PFT requires one to write a check to the employer. SWA doesn't care where you got the type rating. In other words, they aren't making any money off of their applicants in a type rating scheme.

You people need to stop trying to justify your job purchase by trying to hide behind SWA

Yet you are bashing Jet University for people getting a CRJ course yet Pinnacle does not get any of that money. Make up your mind on your definition.

Im just wondering. Who out there would NOT go buy a 737 type for 5K if you were offered a job at Southwest? This is not an invite to blather on about the PFT debate...just wondering who would not.

People who can't grasp the concept of making a small investment now for a huge return later.

Since to be an evil PFT one must pay their employer, all COEX now XJT pilots are ok because we paid Flight Safety. And we never bought the job, we interviewed first and were given a conditional offer of employment pending completion of training. If you were buying the job then wouldn't you have to be guaranteed that job once you paid for it? Pay for training and pay for employment are two very different things. And even if they weren't, so what? Why are you so bitter about it? How did it hurt your career? During the PFT years major airline contracts were the best they had ever been. Now regionals hire 250hr pilots and major contracts are worse than their regional partners. (XJT has a much better contract than CAL) Bring back PFT and lets see some improvement to the Legacy contracts.

SWA is not PFT. PFT requires one to write a check to the employer. SWA doesn't care where you got the type rating. In other words, they aren't making any money off of their applicants in a type rating scheme.

You people need to stop trying to justify your job purchase by trying to hide behind SWA

Ooh thank god, since I paid FSI and not CHQ I'm not a PFT.

Having just learned that: I hate all you PFT guys.

Sjeese, the arguments are getting more stupid by the day.

Last edited:
And he won't have to give management a hand job behind the dumpster like you did to get there. End justifies the means right?

I know im late in this thread but I have to say that totally sums up what we had to do when we got out of college in 2002 december. Thanks for that. I got a good laugh after 8 days on the road.

How does it feel to know you paid 10-15K for a regional job and they can't even get enough 250 hour wonders to fill the seats nowadays. Paid hotel rooms in training, signing bonuses, even notorious PFT pioneer Gulfstream is having to hire and train legitimate FO's. That's got to hurt. How does that decision seem now in hindsight? GIA guys who "flowed through" to Pinnacle? Colgan guys who spent 18K to fly the 1900? Comair dudes? MAPD pay-for-interview scheme? Where are all you guys? Was it worth it?
There is only one thing I would want to change. I would go back in time and surgically replace my eyes with ones that work better. Then I could have flown for my country instead of listening to all of you cry babies whine all the time.

Try to increase your caliber a little by getting over this PFT thing. Once you do, life will get easier for you and you won't feel so cheated.

Latest resources

Back