• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GVFlyer

AP New Jersey

No injuries when plane goes off runway at Teterboro Airport

October 25, 2006, 10:54 PM EDT

TETERBORO, N.J. (AP) _ A small jet carrying seven people went off a runway while taxiing at Teterboro Airport Wednesday night and was stopped by a safety barrier installed just last week. No one was injured, authorities said.

The plane, which had taken off from St. Louis, landed safely around 9 p.m. and was headed toward the area where passengers disembark when the unidentified pilot made the wrong turn, said Marc LaVorgna, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport.

The plane then went about 10 to 15 feet off the runway, winding up on an arrestor bed that had been installed at the airport last week. Arrestor beds are made of specially designed aerated cement blocks that crumble under the weight of an aircraft in order to stop a plane safely if it overshoots a runway.

The arrestor beds were initially due to be installed at Teterboro early next year, LaVorgna said. However, officials decided to accelerate the process and had the barriers installed earlier.

Further details, including information about the plane and its owner, were not immediately available.

The barriers were ordered after two planes have skidded off runways at Teterboro last year. In the worst accident, a corporate jet carrying 11 people failed to take off on Feb. 2 and crossed six lanes of Route 46, striking cars and plowing into a warehouse. No one was killed, but 20 people were injured.

Teterboro, near New York City, handles corporate jets and many small package cargo shipments, as well as couriers for the nation's network of Federal Reserve banks. There were 193,427 takeoffs and landings there in 2005.

This was a Challenger enroute from St. Louis.

GV

We were taking off of 24 on Sunday morning and noticed that the arresting area had what looked like a nose and 1 main wheel tracks in it...we were wondering-thanks!

Yet another challenger...

Disclaimer !! I am not speculating on this particular accident or any other for that matter.

What the hell is going on with this lately ? Is landing within the first third of the runway a lost rule of thumb ? When did this get complicated ? Are pilots just too proud to do a go-around when their approach looks like crap ?

Please help ... If I speak to one more pilot who acts like a go-around is an emergency procedure I'm going to split their skull. :eek:

Just seems like I'm reading about a lot of perfectly good airplanes off the end of pavement.

Last edited:
Well at least the arresting barrier kept them from going on to the street... ;)

Pretty soon they're going to require airbags be installed in Challengers.TC

Did you all not read the aiticle? The pilot was taxing; his landing rollout was complete. He made a wrong turn the article stated. Unless you know of a runway with turns in it????????

Disclaimer !! I am not speculating on this particular accident or any other for that matter.

What the hell is going on with this lately ? Is landing within the first third of the runway a lost rule of thumb ? When did this get complicated ? Are pilots just too proud to do a go-around when their approach looks like crap ?

Please help ... If I speak to one more pilot who acts like a go-around is an emergency procedure I'm going to split their skull. :eek:

Just seems like I'm reading about a lot of perfectly good airplanes off the end of pavement.

Agreed.

Did you all not read the aiticle? The pilot was taxing; his landing rollout was complete. He made a wrong turn the article stated. Unless you know of a runway with turns in it????????

Did you not read my "Disclaimer," obviously not... :rolleyes: :confused:

That was the part of my post where I specifically stated that I wasn't commenting on this particular incident but as to many others where aircraft have ended up off the end of runways.

Last edited:
I have a few theories to all this BS that H25B is referring to ...

1. FSI is not doing their job. I have seen some real losers out there get type ratings. Send some of these hacks home.

FSI needs to quit treating the pilots as the untouchable clients and start not handing 61.58's like they were entitlements. I know personally of a fortune 100 flight department PIC who crashed the sim 3 times during recurrent and was still given a 61.58.

2. No SIC type ratings given out by the local FSDO. Go to school and pass the course. The current system is just like the old one. This was mearly a reach around to placate ICAO.

3. Complex large aircraft prices are coming down and mini-millionares can afford them .... but not operate them. They skimp somewhere and that seems to be in training. Hiring the lowest bidder or not sending guys to school.

4. 135 regs ... several posts regarding duty times ect, ect et al.

This may have nothing to do with this situation, but it is only going to get worse if we continue down this path. Especially given the advent of the VLJ. Many (not all) will be operated by less than professional flight departments.

Agreed.....

Latest resources

Back