• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here U go, more PFT!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
but the pilot who started pursuing flight right out of high school will have his flight time sooner and be interviewing in his mid 20's as opposed to the 4 yr degree guy typically in his late 20's.

Who says you cant fly and go to college at the same time? Most Airlines have an age minimum of 21. A traditional student graduates at 21/22 years of age. If they have been flying since the end of highschool and also during college, they should be qualified for a job and ALSO have that 4 year degree. Getting the degree means you can go through tough courses and finish. Its proof that you are determined. I say, get the degree.

Getting the degree while flying is always an option also. I'm currently getting my degree through UVSC, but Embry Riddle, Phoenix U, and plenty of other colleges and universities offer online courses that can get you your B.S. while you're working at an airline already.

UVSC and Embry Riddle offer credits for flying experience also, so that helps. UVSC gave me 16 credits for my flying experience, and they also allow you to test out of an addition 16. I'm not sure how Embry Riddle handles the credit though.

proof

Well ya'll,, I almost never agree with G200 but I have to this time.

I stopped with 2-1/2 years of college, partly because I could not wait to fly, and partially due to the birth of my first child many years ago, and while I have been able to earn a very good living flying corporate, It held me back from the Majors. My brother hand carried my package in to an unnamed MAJOR, and while I was put in an interview pool, he was told that to overcome not having a college degree I needed an additional 5000 hours. That meant on their point system, a guy with a degree and 200 hours ranked higher than me.

When a company is looking at you on paper, an accredited degree is easily verified. Unless military or airline, it is harder to verify flight time. It is simple, The degree indicates ability to learn.

I understand it does not make them better pilots, but when they are only looking at a piece of paper (Resume), they have to strart somewhere. I will finish mine one day.

BTW

Non degreed pilots can be just a Professional as one with the degree. That has to do with how YOU operate as a Pilot, and your reputation can carry you a long way in corporate, but that is VERY difficult to transfer to the airlines, even if you know someone.

since we're on the subject of degrees...

and for the moment, I'm not being a jacka$$. I have questions.

Currently I have a two year degree in criminology. I have the time at work and the time at home, to pound out a BS degree on the computer. Which online programs are you guys using? Any complaints? How long would it take a guy with an associates degree and the "16" credits worth of flight experience to get a bachelors degree?

Last edited:
and your point is?

I agree whole-hearted you will probably never get hired by a major without a college degree, although I know of two in the last 5 years, one with a GED. But there is so much more to flying than the majors and for someone to narrowly define their career as a major pilot can only lead to disappointment. You proponents of the 4 yr are going to lead some prospective pilot who has no aspirations of flying for a major down the 4 yr degree path and it will do nothing for his career. They will probably pursue a degree in some non-employable area, which is waste of time and money. As stated above two guys with degrees in history and English are unemployable except at jobs that do not require a 4 yr degree. If you go to college get a real degree that leads to a career, teaching engineering, nursing, etc. I have interviewed pure idiots with 4 yr degrees, I have hired pilots without 4 yr degrees that score in the upper 90% percentile of our placement tests and simply blow away the class averages in ground school. I have hired pilots with 4 yr degree that did not make through ground school. The college degree has nothing to do with flying airplanes and you can pursue a successful career without a college degree. There are many more ways to prove your worth as a human than possession of piece of paper saying you have 4 years of college. If you just want to fly do not waste your time and money on a college in a non-placeable career field.

PFT

Is this PFT. What I read was that what they want is someone ready to go and they are not willing to provide it so do not apply.

I have some questions for everyone who has posted already. Currently I have no college credits, but I have (or will have) enough flight time and ratings to get about 16 credits, or whatever the local CC will give me. I also have a shipload of computer training that I should be able to convert to a few more credits. I am 35 now, so I have no false illusions of making the majors without a degree, and even with one, anytime soon. My question is this - if I am planning on an aviation career, probably as a regional captain being the ulitmate destination for me, what AS or BS degree would you recommend?

Would the Aviation degree be the most helpful in a flying career, or a business or some other degree be just as useful. Would my ratings be of any use in getting credits if I were to persue a degree other than an Aviation BS?

Thanks in advance for any input.

/Dave

Riddle Professional Aeronautics degree

KickSave said:
I have some questions for everyone who has posted already. Currently I have no college credits, but I have (or will have) enough flight time and ratings to get about 16 credits, or whatever the local CC will give me. I also have a shipload of computer training that I should be able to convert to a few more credits. I am 35 now, so I have no false illusions of making the majors without a degree, and even with one, anytime soon. My question is this - if I am planning on an aviation career, probably as a regional captain being the ulitmate destination for me, what AS or BS degree would you recommend?

Would the Aviation degree be the most helpful in a flying career, or a business or some other degree be just as useful. Would my ratings be of any use in getting credits if I were to persue a degree other than an Aviation BS?

Thanks in advance for any input.
I, personally, like an aeronautics degree. I was always impressed with the knowlege my ERAU students exhibited.

There are those who deride an aeronautics degree. They say that studying clouds will do you little good outside of aviation. However, Aeronautical Science majors at ERAU also learn English, math, and business, too, I believe. I am sure that other college aviation programs have similar requirements. English, math and business can certainly be used outside of aviation.

Riddle awards a degree in Professional Aeronautics. You get college credits for your ratings. Check it out. It may be exactly what you're looking for.

Latest resources

Back