Here is where your ALPA dues dollars are going

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
magrs said:
Let me ask you, I know the answer, but I still like to ask. Would an employee making minimum wage, 40 hours a week @ $11/ hr make more than an F/O at Pinnacle?

If the answer is yes, I believ we have our answer as to what ALPA has done for all of us!

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/view/78/18/

Let me do the math for you...

$1760 Walmart
$1575 Pinnacle

Way to go ALPA!

Minimum wage isn't $11 an hour.

Looks like you union guys are so busy watching airline management, you forgot to watch your own.

Their salaries would not be an issue if they actually produced.

You can clean house, trash the unions, or quit your yappin.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I think this is unreal! There really is not a lot line pilots can do except vote out a union, which is a huge task and will never happen.

I just got done doing a resume for a Vice President of Tax for a $1 billion company. He has his J.D., his Legal Letters Masters, and was recruited to a company to figure out the best way to merge the company with another without huge tax implications. He has to abide by Sarbanes-Oxley legislation for reporting (part of the trickle done from the Enron scandal) or can be indicted, had to perform due diligence on the merging company - it goes on with the amount of responsibility he has in his current job.

Wanna know his salary? $190,000 a year.

Yet, there are titles on that ALPA list that one could never decipher what they do.

Perhaps an answer to this would be for the membership as a whole to have these individuals justify their salary. Maybe there could be a movement to pay them based upon performance. (I know, a novel concept)

If you all want things to change, then you need to organize the membership. Get petitions signed - do whatever is necessary. It might take some time, but it probably could be done.

JMHO,
Kathy

Its called CORRUPTION. You can steal more with a briefcase than with a gun. Especially when it's Airline pilots dollars. Financial brilliance isn't legendary in the piloting proffesion. Accountability runs a close second. The Corruption at ALPA is very well known in the boardrooms of Airline managment. Both groups choke when the word "Integrity" is spoken.

Resume Writer said:
Yet, there are titles on that ALPA list that one could never decipher what they do.

Perhaps an answer to this would be for the membership as a whole to have these individuals justify their salary. Maybe there could be a movement to pay them based upon performance. (I know, a novel concept)

If you all want things to change, then you need to organize the membership. Get petitions signed - do whatever is necessary. It might take some time, but it probably could be done.

If they were educated on how ALPA functions, they wouldn't have to decipher anything. ALPA has its faults. I am not championing the organization, rather holding up a mirror.

There has been plenty of cost cutting at ALPA. The publishing/printing dept has been shut down. Less people doing more work. The mag is thinner.

But you want pay cuts via national officers.... How is the membership going to cut ALPA salaries? I mean afterall the membership provides the salaries via dues right? Let's get the membership organized like you suggest...

Organize the membership? Nice. Would you call 5% particaption rate at LEC meetings organized? Is 35% voter participation in LEC elections organized?

No one seemed to cared, except maybe about their golf game, in the late 90's when industry leading contracts were being signed. WOW! ALPA was great!

But even in the good times, you can't get pilots educated and informed. They don't know how to use ALPA to thier benefit, nor do they really care to learn. They want their "leading pay" and that is it.

The only time you can get pilots attention is when you start talking about thier wallets. And this is no different. On this issue, pilots are whining about thier empty wallets by pointing out ALPA National's pay.

Look. I don't like how Congress has carved out thier own special Social Security program. The way I see it, I have two choices. Do something about it, or keep my whiny, uneducated (I really don't know too much about it...) 'member of the masses' mouth shut.

This submarine thread surfaces about every five weeks. It is the same ol' blah, blah, blah...... Which is, "Oh whoa is me, I am suffering, I'm concessionary, who can I blame? Where can I point fingers?"

This typical thread offers no solutions. I'd rather listen to mediorce freshmen sorority sisters whine about not being able to get a date, when all they have to do is look in the mirror.

I will ask my reps about it,

Phone Rings...
ALPA Rep- "hello"
ALPA Member- "Hi I've got an ALPA issue"
R- ok, what is it?
M- These ALPA national salaries are out of control, why is that?
R- Are you serious? I thought you had a chief pilot breathing down your neck. But since you took the time to call, I'll work with you.
M- Ok, so whats the deal?
R- I don't know, you called me...
M- Well, these guys shouldn't be making so much money when we pilots are making so little.
R- OK, well, I don't necessarily agree with you, but, what do you want to do about it?
M- uhhhhhhhhhh, I was hoping you'd tell me?
R- I told you I don't really have an issue with it.
M- But the salaries are outrageous.
R- That is your opinion.
M- Well I insist you do something. You are MY representative.
R- Calling me is like calling disaptch. You need to have a well thought out, pragmatic plan. You need to be looking for concurence, not hand holding. BTW, There is a 66% chance you didn't even particapte in the election.
M- well.......... ok, I didn't vote. But I still pay dues, so lets figure this out.
R- Ok, ALPA is a democratic organization. Before the next meeting IAW the C&BL send an agenda item to our council Sec/treas and bring up the issue there.
M- Huh? No, I want you to look into this.
R- Listen, I am a volunteer, I've got a family and Line Pilots getting hammered by management. I'll provide resources but you gotta do the work. I'll contact ALPA and someone from National will attend our meeting in person or via conf call to explan the high salaries in question. Once you have the information, if you decide to carry the issue fwd, I'll make a motion that you Chair an exploratory committe on ALPA national Salaries to be reported to the membership at the next LEC meeting. If your political movement still has steam you can pass a resolution to take action. Based on the avg. particpation rate, there is a 95% chance you won't show up to the LEC meeting.
M- ...................................
R- Hello?

why don't you give us all a complete summary of how the salaries break down

Because the ALPA national salaries aren't my issue. They are your issue. Spoon feed yourself. No one is going to find answers on flightinfo. Just regurgitated negativity. I have other battles I choose to fight. Like this one: Uneducated and apathetic ALPA pilots who think they are buying a service with thier dues money when in actuality they are supporting a resource.

Last edited:
quote from rez o lewshun:

"This typical thread offers no solutions."

But it DOES point out the problem to people who have no idea the problem exists. Then, maybe a few of them WILL try and do something about it. Kinda hard to make a change if you don't know that the need exists for change.

"Because the ALPA national salaries aren't my issue...............I have other battles I choose to fight."

Then what are you doing wasting your time in this thread at all?? Hello pot, this is the kettle.......

Latest resources

Back