• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here is goes...leave CMR for Flex

gordon24

Got an offer from flex on the lr-45. I'm currently flying for Comair...almost 2 years there. I can hold a decent line, 4 on-3off, about 14 days off a month. Money is good, roughly 39-40k gross this year. I commute, which is not cool, but 99.9% of the time I don't have a problem getting to work. We do have a commuter clause at CMR, so that is always a nice backup. Of course, summer time and holidays always make the commute interesting.

I always wanted to do some corporate flying and have been interested in the fracs for awhile. I have a 6mo old son, so time at home is important. Don't know if I dig that 28 day x 13 bids a year at flex. Looks like maybe 11 days off a month or so. Maybe working 20 or so days a year more for about the same pay. I would like being treated more like a person than a bus driver, though.

I read the previous posts on flexjet and it seems like a lot of people have negative things to say. Ran into a netjets guy the other day and he told me he's flown with ex-flex guys at netjets. To me, that is kind of a red-flag. How about some honest feedback concerning average schedules, quality of life, etc, at flex?

I'm sure some will say hold out for fltops or netjets. Problem is, I don't know anyone at either place and don't know if ~2700 total, 700 jet (crj), and no types would get me in the door at netjets. Thanks for an inputs...let the debate begin!

You answered your own question. An airline pilot is NOT a bus driver...

Well, I sympathize with your position. I wouldn't suggest that Flexjet is a bad place to go. I have a few friends there and they enjoy the equipment they fly (both Lear 60). The problem is that both FOs still haven't upgraded to Captain after 4 YEARS.... Sure, most Frax companies have had problems over the last couple of years and upgrades have not happened quickly enough. However, add to that a new and crappy bidding system for schedules and both of my Flexjet friends are very, very frustrated...

It's true that Flexjet is starting to see some great traction with the Challenger 300 with I think 12 new aircraft on the property by year end. That has created a lot of excitement and probably some pilot movement (that and the new Lear 40). So, there is some reason to be optimistic.

Ultimately, I think, IMHO, most fractional wannabes would be happier at Netjets or at FLOPS given the future growth, the much better schedules (7/7 or 8/7) and the long list of gateway domiciles. I also have friends at Netjets and they are VERY PLEASED to be there - all of them have moved up to Captain positions on great airplanes like the Citation X and the G200. Sure, the Netjets situation could be better (starting pay is a bit low), but hopefully the new contract will address some pay and QOL issues.

Leaving Comair might not be such a bad choice given the possibility of reduced regional growth at Delta. Less expensive partners like CHQ, Skywest and possibly Skyway will likely see most of the regional growth going forward given their lower cost structures - that's a fact. Time to upgrade could take A LOT longer (CHQ would be a better choice to get PIC time).

If you do go to Flexjet, check it out and keep the option of networking (big time) with Netjet or FLOPS pilots open in case Flexjet does not turn out to be the great frax company you think it might be. Talk to as many Netjets and FLOPS pilots as possible - and make some friends... You sound like a family man - maybe a 7/7 or 8/7 schedule would be better for you and your family. Plus flying a Citation X wouldn't be so bad (although a Lear 45 certainly isn't bad either...).

Good luck

Last edited:
To add to Heavy Set's comments, it might be easier to make the jump from FlexJet to Flight Ops or NetJets than it would be to make the jump from Comair. Fractionals seem to like pilots with a corporate/fractional/charter background. Doesn't mean you can't do it, it just might be easier with FlexJet on your resume.

I'd try flexjet and get some Lear time on the 45 and then try to get on with Netjets. That Lear 45 looks fast.

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

General-

It's the stripes that make it look fast.

I agree with Heavy and English. Depends on where you eventually want to end up. You probably won't get PIC time any time soon at Comair - PIC time at Flexjet might also be limited given the lack of movement (although Flex is adding a number of new airplanes and the economy is getting better) - need to keep that in mind too.

I say go to Flexjet, check it out, network with NJA and Flight Options pilots, and keep your mind open. If you want to end up as a frax pilot, going to Flexjet first wouldn't be a bad move - you could always try to jump over to NJA with fractional experience if you were so inclined. If you want to eventually fly for Jet Blue, maybe more airline flying is for you. You need to think hard about it. Fractional flying is great for variety of routes and new aircraft - I am sure you are tired of the Comair system by now.

I like the looks of the L45 - looks like a sweet ride....

Good luck.

Last edited:
Gordon,

Congratulations on the birth of your son! I think it is so admirable that he is the first thing you mention when considering which route to take!! I've flown with a few guys that have their priorities screwed up and put the job ahead of their families. I've been at Comair before and now fly frax. There are pros and cons to both. Gunflyer gives wonderful advice!! If you want SWA or Jetblue I have a bunch of buddies at both who are on cloud 9!! Please feel free to PM me if there are any questions or anything I can help you with. I was also a commuter with Comair so I understand what you are going through to a certain extent. Be good!!

Depends on what your QOL goals are. I think that if you are inclined to want to see new places and have time to spend there in very accomodations, and make a decent living...then don't second guess a rare oportunity for an airline guy to get into corporate ( our dept has an unspoken no ex-airline pilot will be hired here culture). This maybe your best shot. Coming from corporate, I occasionally think about the airlines, but I never have bothered to pursue it because I make better money, going on other peoples vacations to Europe and the South Pacific, and still get to be home on average 16 days a month. The private sector can be as bad as the worst commuter or better than the best major. QOL lies in pockets of both good and bad, but you have to find some way to get your foot in the door. With that said, if you want to go to a major airline (might be a bit of a delay?) you should probably stick it out at CMR. I know guys that have left corporate to go to a major but I think that it is harder after a while to leave a good job for a seniority number if you are not already used to that environment. Good luck to you in what ever you decide:)

Latest resources

Back