Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

enigma

good ol boy
At the end of the Martinsville race, NBC just reported that a Hendrick Motorsports airplane was lost off of radar earlier today while enroute to Martinsville.

Has anyone hear anymore else?

Keeping my fingers crossed,
enigma

I just saw that too. According to a flight tracking site, N501RH (BE20) was enroute JQF-MTV. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Sad day for Hendrick

Just heard it on ABC, a Hendrick Motorsports King Air that was traveling to Martinsville from Concord, NC crashed after going on the missed approach. They said it crashed in the vicinity of the Martinsville airport. There were seven aboard and it is believed that they are all dead. I'm happy that Johnson won today, but very sad for all those at Hendrick Motorsports and the families of those who died today.

StrykerFL said:
Just heard it on ABC, a Hendrick Motorsports King Air that was traveling to Martinsville from Concord, NC crashed after going on the missed approach. They said it crashed in the vicinity of the Martinsville airport. There were seven aboard and it is believed that they are all dead. I'm happy that Johnson won today, but very sad for all those at Hendrick Motorsports and the families of those who died today.
Fox News just said it's confirmed that all 7 aboard have perished. No names, though.

Yes, here in CLT, they are reporting that the Hendrick King Air based in Concord(I think it was a 200) went down in Blue Ridge. The news is reporting R.H.'s brother John , son Ricky, chief engine builder, were on board. They had shot the approach/ missed and were trying it again when radar contact was lost.

It's sad to hear this news,
SCT

No word by the way on who was onboard. I do know that owner Rick Hendrick was not. They will not release the names until next-of-kin can be notified.

Update

Posted on NASCAR.COM

Report of plane crash near Bull Mountain

Radio traffic indicates a plane crash occurred around 11:45am this morning in the Stuart, Patrick Springs, Bull Mountain area.

Sketchy information at this hour indicates the plane was headed to the Blue Ridge Airport in Spencer and with six occupants including the pilot.

Helicopters are now flying over the area trying to find the downed aircraft. We have just learned one of the racing team helicopters has now joined in the search.

Update 1 - 2:51pm: A helicopter has located the signal of the emergency locating transmitter of the downed aircraft, but due to extreme fog, they are unable to see the plane.

Update 2 - 2:52pm: State Police have determined the coordinates and are dispatching four-wheelers to the scene.

Update 3 - 2:53pm: A break in the fog has allowed the helicopter crew to get a visual on the crash scene. They report "there does not appear to be any survivors."

Update 4 - 3:30pm: Unconfirmed... the plane is alleged to be owned by Hendrick Motorsports and was headed to Martinsville for today's race.

Update 5 - 3:40pm: Fire and rescue have been advised to seal the entire area off to all media.

Update 6 - 5:13pm: The FFA and the NTSB has confirmed the downed plane was owned by Hendrick Motorsports and took off from Concord, NC. Officials have confirmed everyone onboard was killed, but no names have been released.

Update 7 - 5:23pm: We have received a partial list of the deceased. They are: Ricky Hendrick, John Hendrick, Kimberly Hendrick, Jennifer Hendrick, Len Morrison, and Scott Latham. Again, this is a partial list and remains unconfirmed, although the source of the information comes from the Martinsville Speedway.

We'll have further updates regarding this story as it becomes available. (10/24/04)

ArcticFlier said:
This sucks.......................four family members just seems to make it worse.

AF
I'm a Ford fan, but even I can feel for Rick Hendrick. He lost his Dad, Pappa Joe, earlier this year, now this.

May God comfort him and the rest of the family.

enigma

Latest resources

Back