Help with a new book.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Palerider957

Ladies and Gents, I figured all of you would be in the best position to give advice. My wife and I are seriously considering writing a book about smaller airports that are rich with GA history and tradition, as well as good scenery.

I have a few places I want to include (I.e. SKY, EYW, New England area, among others) I know you fractional types make it into many smaller fields, I thought you could provide suggestions. I think we'll primarily hit the eastern third of the U.S., as we travel by Baron.

Thanks in advance for your help!:D

Great Barrington

now known as walter Kolzada the owner just died it was one of the oldest privately owned airports in the country KGBR regards Vavso.

Palerider,

There is this place down in South Georgia that Lindbergh used to either train at or did airmail runs into. I can't for the life of me remember the name, but it had quite a bit of history as an old Army Air Corp base and an old haunt of Lindy.

I flew just a couple of training flights in there over ten years ago. They have updated and modernized the place, but have memorabilia hanging everywhere.

Very nice folks, rocking chairs on the front porch and old dogs hanging around. Maybe some of our Georgia bubbas can fill us in on the name.
Anyho...seems like the kind of place that fits the bill.

Good luck with the book. Let us know when it's published so we can get our flightinfo discount! ;)

Maybe KSSI - Malcolm McKinnon Airport, Brunwsick/St. Simon Island, GA. It was a training base during and after WWII. I've only been there once but I think it might worth a paragraph or two in your book. Here's a link to a brief history of the airport: http://www.glynncountyairports.com/airporthistory22.html

Good luck with the book.

You guys rule! I know the task of sorting through a million little airports will be challenging. I'm trying to come up with a common theme to tie all of the airports in the book together, otherwise it will just be random locations.

I know the airlines (and I suspect many fractional outfits) have taken all of the fun out of flying. This book will help to remind us why we all came to love flight in the beginning.

Please, keep the airports suggestions coming!

Candler field

Atlanta airport, formerly known as Candler field, started as a race track. Asa Candler, father of the Coca-Cola company, enjoyed racing cars. He established a small racetrack near the sight of the Atlanta Airport for his hobby. When the airplane entered the scene and as the popularity of air travel grew, the race track was used as a landing site. It became known as Candler field. Atlantic Southeast Airlines, a Delta connection carrier, adopted the name "Candler" several years ago as their call sign.

Pearson airport in Vancouver, WA. I think it is the oldest existing airport in the country. Also the now destroyed Miegs Field.

You GOTTA do something on 2A5 in Liberty, NC :)

Still blows my mind seeing Citation IIIs going into that little patch. Lotsa history ... great folks, too.

Minhberg

Winslow AZ - airport designed by Lindbergh, and used as a landing point between ABQ and LAS flights for his Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) airline, which became TWA.

Hondo TX - airfield was once USAAF, where some of the Tuskegee airmen trained on the B-25 there. Thousands of future USAF pilots went thru flight screening there, some even went thru pilot training in the 50s from contractor pilots.

Latest resources

Back