• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help me, I'm thinking of quitting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so what are you thinking after all this advice? I wanna hear how things are going!! hope you are continuing

Congratulations.

Remember, after you enjoy the well earned enjoyment of this accomplishment, that what you have is a licens to learn.

This is the beginning.

Your post made it sound more like you're concerned more about what others think about your flying than you do - pilots fly because they want to and they enjoy it - and for many, they hope they can get a job someday.

You have to search deep inside yourself and really think about why you want to fly - if you're ready to give it up because your friends can't or won't fly with you then you really don't want to fly that badly yourself. Same with your parents, if they want you to do something else and you agree to that, you may not be happy with that decision later in life - so you have to do what YOU want to do and do what's in your heart.

From your initial post it sounds to me like your heart isn't really into it, but I hope I'm wrong. You're more interested in what others think about your flying than what you think about your flying.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I'll say it, screw your parents, yeah you only got one set, but don't screw your entire life, doing some miserable job, even if that is being a doctor, or lawyer, whatever.

I'd understand if your mother started crying because you just joined the service, or announced you were going into the adult film industry. Cried because you said I want to be a pilot? Maybe she was involved with a pilot before she met your dad, then it is understandable ;)

My dad wanted me to be a doctor, at the very least a lawyer, I didn't have it in me to do all that, and just wanted to fly. I wanted to fly, I am flying, I am extremely lucky, the first flyer in my family. I think this is kind of a barrier in some regards, my uncle went to U of I and when my grandparents found out he was in the aviation program, they yanked him out and sent him to Loyola in Chicago.

Every single time a plane crashed, anywhere, and it made the news, especially in the Chicago area, I'd hear about it for a week. That's gonna be you, you're gonna get killed, blah blah blah. Now I just have my brothers asking me if I am going to go do a kamikaze run like that kid in Tampa, or drop a sack of cement on so and so's house. People who really aren't into aviation, don't get it.

You get it, don't give up, it may even be awhile, a few years even before you have the money, and time to get your instrument rating, and even longer before you take a commercial checkride.

@JediNein, and anyone else with the same experience.

I soloed? Does that mean they let you fly the airplane? Nobody cared, so what, wow great, how much more is it going to cost to get the actual license? They cut up your shirt, what, why, they better get you a new one! OTHER guys who soloed had their entire families there, like it was some kinda big deal, like he graduated from college or something. Pretty much the same when I took my private checkride, went home, took a nap, went out to dinner with my mom, and my aunt, since it was her birthday the next day, Wooopie!

Congrats!

I'm coming into this thread late, but if you're still checking this thread, congratulations on your decision and accomplishment.

Your original post sounded so familiar. My parents wanted me to do practically anything but go into aviation, although I don't think my Mom was as uptight about it as yours appears to be.

Just my thoughts: Things sometimes have a way of working out. If you pursue what you want to do and succeed at it, your parents just might come to share & appreciate your accomplishment. If not, what's wrong with having a good (non-flying) job and boring holes in the sky by yourself on the weekends & days off? That's what some of my former students do, and I almost envy them at times!

Best of luck with whatever comes next.

Think of flying, for vocation or hobby, as personal development and fulfillment. If you give it your best, and approach it professionally, it will make you a better person, and you will not be able to conceive of doing anything else.

And be sure to marry a smart, patient, financially stable spouse. It will definitely take two incomes to raise your family, and pay for the child care while you are on the road 8-12 nights a month. And don't forget to take him/her flying occasionally, to ensure they understand.

Good Luck

@JediNein, and anyone else with the same experience.

I soloed? Does that mean they let you fly the airplane? Nobody cared, so what, wow great, how much more is it going to cost to get the actual license? They cut up your shirt, what, why, they better get you a new one!

Heyas,

Yep, I'm going to have to go with Metro here. To most of the world, they could give just about 2 sh!ts.

These days, most people are only interested in what looks flashy and gives instant gratification with the least risk. A Hummer is the principal modern expression of that.

Anything that requires more than two synapses firing in sequence, like flying, and most people will tune you right out...they're more interested in what trouble Paris has gotten into lately.

I wouldn't worry about what other people think. Flying is more for the person who would tinker with their old TR-6 than the dude down the street who bought a new hog 'cause it "looked cool", then laid it down because he didn't think about learning how to ride it.

Nu

Forget the airlines. I fly charter and am paid better than some of those guys and having a blast. A few airline guys have come here and like it a lot better than their previous jobs. I concur, there are a lot of different ways to earn a buck than the airlines. Oh yeah and most importantly, and not in this post but this site is the most negative place to find info on becoming a pilot. I didn't know my life and job sucked until I came on here.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back