• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help me, I'm thinking of quitting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless you just don't have the funds to finish at all, my advice: Finish the PPL, then make your decisions. It's infinitely easier to drop flying for a time, then re-start, with a private pilot certificate, than it would be to start up again without. (That advice holds for many endeavors, college degree, truck driving school, whatever.)
After finishing, if you decide not to fly anymore, then so be it, but I'd bet you'll always regret not completing the training, whether you fly or not.
I'd like to second this advice. Earning a pilot's licence is a huge accomplishment even if you choose to pursue other professional routes. It speaks well of you on any resume. Something to think about is that most accomplished people tend not to blame their decisions on others. Listen to your parents and others but then own the decision. That's a good first step for an aspiring Captain. There's more on the line here than $1300. Take the checkride! Good luck.

You owe it to yourself to finish the PPL. If you don't, you'll always regret it. Good luck!

Take the advice or leave it...it's free:

Get a college degree in something. If you're flying career has a hiccup (furloughs, etc) you have the ability to get a decent job until things come back together.
Don't quit flying over your mom, or anyone else. And be careful who you marry, I see this turning into divorce city if you let your mom run your life.
You like flying, keep at it. Just be aware that it is a career that takes a loooooong time to become lucrative.
Worse comes to worse, you're college degree will lead you to a job where you can buy your own plane one day and fly for yourself! Now THAT'S the way to go!
If you are bent on a flying career, don't sweat the solo date, etc. In the days where airlines could be picky, solo dates mattered because it showed a long interest in flying (having been an interview CA I know this). But today, pilots are getting harder to come by. Hopefully this will continue not only in terms of you getting a job easier, but also in terms of better pay and such.
Think about fractional flying too, the airlines may not be the end of the rainbow like it used to be, but its a great way to get to a better job.

Hey, I haven't read a lot of these other posts so I don't know where you stand on your decision yet but I'll chime in. At the very least I would say finish your private, you came to close to just quit now. You will have pretty much wasted the ~4k? you spent up to this point if you don't finish have anything to show for it. I would finish and go from there.
As for nobody wanting to ride along with you I find that hard to belive. Maybe not your family or friends, but if you head out to the airport and chum around I guarantee you will find some other students that want to split some time on and money on x-countires. Find an instrument student and throw them under the hood.. this way you can both log it (with a few minor details) and split the cost.
Fly because you want to fly, not to impress your family or friends. I am the 5th pilot in my family, with the other 4 at majors. It runs in my blood. Granted, it is a lot easier with family support and encouragment, but I think you should still pursue this if it is what YOU want to do. Many will say that the industry is a big $hit hole right now, and it is partly true. But we are on the upswing and I feel this is a good time. Anway, I kinda got off topic a bit but I say go for it!

Short answer:
Follow what your heart tells you.

Everyone here has given good advice. You should certainly finish that checkride and see how the world feels after that.

My parents never spent a dime on any of my flight training and disapproved of flying as well.

College is important. Stay at your present university in lieu of an aviation school. Most are set up to milk you on the flight line. Get an education in something other than aviation. You won't regret it.

Many pilots have side jobs or occupations which allow them to supplement thier income. Being formally educated in something will make this facet of an unpredicable industry less difficult.

If your non-pilot friends don't want to fly, so be it. Half of my friends have flown with me and the other half won't. My joke is that the half that knows me better won't!

There are a myriad of ways in which one can build some flight time. Once you're certificated, start making friends at the airport. Before long, you'll have that X-CTRY time for your instrument.

Where there's a will, there's a way. If you want to be a professional pilot, then you shall. You just have to really want it in your heart. If you truly do, then you will have the insight and ability to know exactly how you're gonna get there.

Good luck.

Minimum finish the private MINIMUM!!! if your still young go for more in what you love ,fly then it will be to late. Follow your dream. thats what I need to do NOW!!

I agree with what everyone else says, finish your PPL and get your dgree in something not related to aviation. My 2 cents on the rest is that if you feel like you want to quit now, and have to ask here if what everyone else thinks, you dont want this life bad enough to pursue it. Its only gona get worse from here on out(with the occasional good days). Get your PPL and fly around for fun on nice days, it will be fun for a lifetime that way.

Follow your heart.
Whatever you do with your life, don't spend it doing something that you don't like.
My brother was a Nuclear Engineer for the Government. He hated every day of it for 25 years. What a waste.
He made a lot more money than I did in the aviation industry, but I've spent 30 years geting paid to do something I love to do. I'll warn you that you probably won't make a lot of money, you'll be away from home a lot, and you won't be boinking all the Flight Attendants that your neighbors think you are.
Would I do it again? You bet!

If it even matters I soloed almost 10 years ago and gave up a few weeks before the checkride, mostly due to lack of money.

I am now working as a CFI and hope to be with a regional in the next 6 months.

Bottom line...if YOU want something, go get it. Don't let anybody tell you it can't be done.

And if you do chose this as a career, be prepared to work harder than you ever imagined.

Latest resources

Back