Help me Design a Pilot Lounge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

astropilot

Hey guys I am in charge of designing a pilot lounge for my FBO. I would like to find out from you, what are the must-have items, those WOW items and things you would not put in there. Currently, we have the Big Screen TV, Cable DVD player, Chairs and tables. Thanks Mark

Ideal Pilot Lounge

Heres what I would like to see in the IDEAL FBO pilot lounge. (I flew all over the country)

1.) Snooze rooms (if possible) in a quiet area. Landmark at MDW had great ones, so you can catch a few ZZZZ. A small twin bed and clock is all you need.

2.) DVDs, preferably free (we pilots are cheap!). If you can get current movies, thats great. BLU-RAY with and HD Flat screen is awesome!

3.) Wireless internet of course! (Also free!) (Gotta use the laptop to communicate with the MRS. pay bills, get on FLTPLAN.com, etc.

4.) Some type of video game console (pilots are big kids too). Wii is fun, X-box or PS3 better. Keeps you entertained.

5.) Comfortable lounge chairs with cup holders. I prefer cloth because they dont get cold with the air conditioning, but many are leather because they are easy to clean. Multiple ones in either staggard or semi-circle for easy TV viewing.

6.) Private bathroom for the pilots (shower optional) in the Pilots Lounge area.

7.) Books, preferable aviation books and PLEASE current magazines (such as Aviation Week, Business Aviation, etc.) Sometimes you just want to read.

8.) Flat table with chairs to eat, put your laptop on, etc. Signature MIA has a small one in their lounge and it works great. You can eat in peace and quiet.

I guess thats pretty much it. If I think of anything else Ill let you know.

Keurig Single cup coffee maker with large selection of coffee and tea K-cups.
Excellent suggestion, the Keurig is a must have, and pretty cheap really, I much prefer the Keurig over the Flavia which I think is disgusting.

What part of the country are you located in? I'm sure if you tell us that, we can suggest some good FBO's in your area and you can take a look at them and get some ideas. There are some great ones out there.

Along with what other have mentioned:

Popcorn machine

Crew car(s) with a list of places to eat

Keep it clean. I know this is hard to do since some guys are real slobs, but this is a big one for me.

Good luck.

1.) Snooze rooms (if possible) in a quiet area. Landmark at MDW had great ones, so you can catch a few ZZZZ. A small twin bed and clock is all you need.

If my former company knew there was free bed available, they'd stop paying for hotel rooms!

A shower is definitely a plus. You can go for a jog or if you are lucky enough to pack the bike on some trips like me then you can get cleaned up for the trip home. Other than that, I'm happy with enough recliners to go around, wireless internet and a TV.

Forget couches and any type of chair that doesn't recline. La-z-boy recliners are the only way to go. Who ever designed the pilot lounge at Jet Aviation TEB should be shot.

Latest resources

Back