• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Helo pilot to Airline pilot??

mudkow60

Total Time
'bit
Has anyone ever transitioned from flying helos to flying aircraft (specifically airlines and such)? I am trying to make the leap, and finding all kinds of differences in the way the two communities do things. Also, I am military studing for my ATP. I will never complain about all the things the Navy makes me learn (rules and regulations wise). You ATP'ers have to know a bunch or rules and regs.

Ok, back to NASCAR and my rum.

M

YGBSM

Old flaccid member
Total Time
>0
mudkow60 said:
Has anyone ever transitioned from flying helos to flying aircraft (specifically airlines and such)? I am trying to make the leap, and finding all kinds of differences in the way the two communities do things. Also, I am military studing for my ATP. I will never complain about all the things the Navy makes me learn (rules and regulations wise). You ATP'ers have to know a bunch or rules and regs.

Ok, back to NASCAR and my rum.

M

www.aptap.org

Now, back to being a prick.

CoolHands

Total Time
2000+
I've heard of a bunch of guys that transitioned from helos to airline flying. My Dad's neighbor flies for a major and his background is Army national guard. In fact, I think he started out as an enlisted guy before ending up getting most of his time as a UH-1 IP. I believe he also did a tour as a C-12 (BE-200) pilot before he was hired on with the airlines. Anyways, he told me that when he was hired the vast majority of his time was helo but he did have a good bit of fixed-wing time as well from the C-12. Good luck with the atp!

mudkow60

Total Time
'bit
Thanks. I am looking forward to the transition, and the studying that comes with it.

As per aptap.org- there seems to be a lot of bitter helo bubbas on that site, so I have decided to say away from posting. Always seem to get smart a@@ comments and little help. Could be a good site for info except for a few turds.

Tim47SIP

Serving for the USofA
Total Time
Go for it!

Dont wory about a thing. PM me if you need some info. If you are still in FL, I can meet you. I have trained numerous helo guys that are flying with the airlines. It is not a problem. You look like you are already on your way.Dont let the APTAP guys spook you. There are a lot of good guys there and the webmaster is a very good friend of mine. The site is very good to find out important info. Many, many individuals were hired because of the work on that site.

Good luck!

rumrnr78

Total Time
I just finished a trip with a Chinook guy! Come on over to ASA we would love to have you!!! Cheers, Rum

Tim47SIP

Serving for the USofA
Total Time
What?

I thought I was the only Chinook guy at ASA!:eek:

atpcliff

Total Time
Hi!

aptap.org is definitely the best site if you're a helo guy. I got hired and got an interview through the site. I've also directly helped about 5 guys get hired through that site.

There are always some bitter guys on every site. I think there is a much higher % of bitter guys on flightinfo than there are on aptap.org. Just ignore them and press on.

Good luck!

Cliff
GRB

pilotyip

Total Time
You are a professional pilot in every sense of the word and can be trained to fly anything. I know the Navy took helo drivers into fixed wing all the time. You also have leg up on Army helo drivers. You did your instrument training in a fixed wing airplane. USA Jet has hired a bunch of military helo guys over the years, never had a training failure with former mil helo driver, can not say the same for other backgrounds.
Some other airlines out there also recognize this, like ASA.