Helo pilot to Airline pilot??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mudkow60

Has anyone ever transitioned from flying helos to flying aircraft (specifically airlines and such)? I am trying to make the leap, and finding all kinds of differences in the way the two communities do things. Also, I am military studing for my ATP. I will never complain about all the things the Navy makes me learn (rules and regulations wise). You ATP'ers have to know a bunch or rules and regs.

Ok, back to NASCAR and my rum.

M

mudkow60 said:
Has anyone ever transitioned from flying helos to flying aircraft (specifically airlines and such)? I am trying to make the leap, and finding all kinds of differences in the way the two communities do things. Also, I am military studing for my ATP. I will never complain about all the things the Navy makes me learn (rules and regulations wise). You ATP'ers have to know a bunch or rules and regs.

Ok, back to NASCAR and my rum.

M

www.aptap.org

Now, back to being a prick.

I've heard of a bunch of guys that transitioned from helos to airline flying. My Dad's neighbor flies for a major and his background is Army national guard. In fact, I think he started out as an enlisted guy before ending up getting most of his time as a UH-1 IP. I believe he also did a tour as a C-12 (BE-200) pilot before he was hired on with the airlines. Anyways, he told me that when he was hired the vast majority of his time was helo but he did have a good bit of fixed-wing time as well from the C-12. Good luck with the atp!

Thanks. I am looking forward to the transition, and the studying that comes with it.

As per aptap.org- there seems to be a lot of bitter helo bubbas on that site, so I have decided to say away from posting. Always seem to get smart a@@ comments and little help. Could be a good site for info except for a few turds.

Go for it!

Dont wory about a thing. PM me if you need some info. If you are still in FL, I can meet you. I have trained numerous helo guys that are flying with the airlines. It is not a problem. You look like you are already on your way.Dont let the APTAP guys spook you. There are a lot of good guys there and the webmaster is a very good friend of mine. The site is very good to find out important info. Many, many individuals were hired because of the work on that site.

Good luck!

I just finished a trip with a Chinook guy! Come on over to ASA we would love to have you!!! Cheers, Rum

What?

I thought I was the only Chinook guy at ASA!:eek:

Hi!

aptap.org is definitely the best site if you're a helo guy. I got hired and got an interview through the site. I've also directly helped about 5 guys get hired through that site.

There are always some bitter guys on every site. I think there is a much higher % of bitter guys on flightinfo than there are on aptap.org. Just ignore them and press on.

Good luck!

Cliff
GRB

You are a professional pilot in every sense of the word and can be trained to fly anything. I know the Navy took helo drivers into fixed wing all the time. You also have leg up on Army helo drivers. You did your instrument training in a fixed wing airplane. USA Jet has hired a bunch of military helo guys over the years, never had a training failure with former mil helo driver, can not say the same for other backgrounds.
Some other airlines out there also recognize this, like ASA.

Latest resources

Back