Height limits?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Height restrictions in Air Force

The US Air Force standards are pretty clear on height; the disqualifying heights are available in AFI 48-123 and AFPAM 48-133. To quote from 48-123 16.2:

FLYING CLASS 1 STANDING HEIGHT DISQUALIFIED IF >77" or <64" , OR IF SITTING HEIGHT >40" or <34"

Sounds like you just make it. There are aircraft specific limitations for certain airframes, and those restrictions are based on butt to knee measurement. They will do anthropometric measurements on you at your initial Flying class I physical.

I have known of some folks who have been given waivers for excessive height, but they have usually been football or basketball stars at one of the service academies (for example former Dallas Cowboy and A-10 pilot Chad Hennings)

Hope this helps.

Buzz

hey guys. thanks a lot for all the replies. i've been kinda worried about this for a while now, so its good to know that its really not that big a deal. thanks again. :)

Slye said:
There's an IP at XL who previously flew F-16s, his nickname is Lurch, perhaps the same guy? I don't think he's quite 6' 5" though.

I dunno - probably different dude...this guy was Kunsan around '91.

For 9G- my buddy the flight doc read this thread and is gonna get access so he can answer your question "formally/informally". Quick answer is 77" is the max...so stop taking your multi-vitamin!

Flew Vipers with a guy who was no-sh** 6'4-1/2" and 290 at one point. He's slimmed down now to about 265ish and goes on crash diets to get to 245 when he's weighed for the ejection seat. I think there's switches on the aft quadrants he's never seen.

Can you say "Scrunch"

6'5"+ 235 here. No Waiver.

I spent 9 years scrunching" down during my Class ones. Never had a problem.

All you had to do was look at my knee caps and the canopy bow of the T-37 and I knew that an ejection wouldn't be pretty. The back seat of the T-38 was ok with it lowered all the way, but with a seat kit like in the "Smurf Jet" it was almost impossible. Try checking six and leaning forward at the same time, not fun. My shoulders touched the sides of the canopy rails in the Phantom. The Viper was surprising comfortable. I had much more room in there, could have been the seat recline.

The hight limits in Naval Aviation were High, 6'6" but their sitting height was more restrictive.

The ghouls at Brooks got ahold of my while I was at PIT. The were taking measurements for the "Combat Edge" system. I was in the 99 percentile in everyone they took. NO, they didn't measure that, get your minds out of the gutter.

Last edited:
I was having my class one for flying sargeant and the nurse was taking my measurements. I'm only 6'3" but I have the arms of a gorilla. The nurse told me to stand with my back against the wall and my left fingertip in the corner and stretch my right arm so he could measure my wingspan. My fingers went completely off the scale they had on the wall. They had to get a measuring tape and calculate my reach cause I was about two inches too wide. They didn't fail you for ape arms but the extra three cm on seated height killed me for the flying sargeant job and I had to do a WOFT packet. So much for the easy route.

Oh by the way this was in 1989, I think the flying sargeant program is gone in the army and I'm certain in today's enlistment climate the medical standards have been "relaxed".

Latest resources

Back