Height limits?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KVNY

Hello all. I'm interested in becoming a military pilot. Only problem: I'm nearly 6' 5"! Just wondering how my height will affect my chances of becoming a pilot. I'm interested in either the USAF or the Army Warrant officer program (depending on whether or not i can bring my grades up enough to get into a decent college lol). Are the requirements for a helo slot any different than those for a fixed wing slot?

We have a dude in my UPT class that is probably 6'5". I'm 6'2" and he towers over me....

There are waivers for anything and everything, well, almost.

MarineGrunt said:
We have a dude in my UPT class that is probably 6'5". I'm 6'2" and he towers over me....

There are waivers for anything and everything, well, almost.
Ok, thanks for the info. Guess I wont worry bout it too much then

If you have a problem it will probably be the "butt to knee" length if you want to fly anything that has an ejection seat. That is a snag for many tall guys.

I had a company commander/blackhawk pilot who was about 6'5". Funny thing is he was a kiowa pilot before he came to our blackhawk unit. Funny because his seated height was about two inches more than mine and I was turned down for flying sargeant job on kiowa because my seated height was too tall. Guess if you're an officer the rules just don't mean much.

If you want to fly rotor why don't you really get the grades up so you can compete for Air Battle Captain scolarship (I guess they still call it that) at the University of North Dakota. You can qualify as an army rotor pilot while completing college and the army will may for the whole thing. Its a very competitive scholarship and you pay for the first year but if you get the deal the sophomore thru senior is on the army. Its about 150 thousand worth of training.

have a friend who told me the story that when he was 14 or 15 and 6'1" he asked an airforce fighter pilot if he was too tall to fly fighters, which was his dream at the time. the pilot said no way, you're still growing, you'll be too tall. well, he was right, the guy is like 6'4" or something now, but when he grew up and got a real job he found out that it'd be cramped but he could definitely have flown fighters. also, look to flying freight or something in a C-5 Galaxy, C-130, etc, as another option.

KVNY said:
Hello all. I'm interested in becoming a military pilot. Only problem: I'm nearly 6' 5"! QUOTE]

I flew F16s with a guy that must've been 6' 5". His nickname was 'Lurch', go figure. Also flew with a dude probably 6' 3" and about 230lb. Not an easy fit in a Viper...but he did it. I now have a friend who is a flt doc down at Brooks (USAF Med Center) and handles waivers. I'll try to get the 'skinny' from him.

2-33 and L-23 time....you are off to a great start. I cherish my 2-33 time almost as much as my Viper time.

I can't find it right now, but there's an article on www.af.mil in the last month about an Academy guy that was 6' 6" and too tall. He had a rock climbing accident where he fell 50' and compressed his spine. He's now 6' 5", healed up, and heading to pilot training this year.

G100F16 said:
I flew F16s with a guy that must've been 6' 5". His nickname was 'Lurch', go figure.

There's an IP at XL who previously flew F-16s, his nickname is Lurch, perhaps the same guy? I don't think he's quite 6' 5" though.

KVNY said:
Hello all. I'm interested in becoming a military pilot. Only problem: I'm nearly 6' 5"! Just wondering how my height will affect my chances of becoming a pilot.

I got a height waiver back in the mid 80s. They put me in both a T-37 and T-38 to make sure I had sufficient head/knee clearance in case I had to eject. I was ROTC and the only downside was that I had to travel to a UPT base for the evaluation at my own expense, but obviously it was well worth it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back