• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

heavy/double crew logging?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That third (or fourth) crewmember is required for the ac to leave the gate if it is more than 8 or more than 12 hours.....I just dont see it as a 2/3 required crewmember.

That third (or fourth) crewmember is required for the ac to leave the gate if it is more than 8 or more than 12 hours.....I just dont see it as a 2/3 required crewmember.

When is that crew member required though? If the plane takes off and has to return 30 minutes due to emergency what was the requirement for additional crew members?

The regulations are clear in this regard, when that 3rd or 4th crew member in a 2 pilot aircraft is required through rest rules to occupy a crew member position (which isn't a chair in back sleeping) they can log time. The ATP operating as PIC under Part 1 gets to log everything, everyone else logs when they are at a station.

When is that crew member required though? If the plane takes off and has to return 30 minutes due to emergency what was the requirement for additional crew members?

The regulations are clear in this regard, when that 3rd or 4th crew member in a 2 pilot aircraft is required through rest rules to occupy a crew member position (which isn't a chair in back sleeping) they can log time. The ATP operating as PIC under Part 1 gets to log everything, everyone else logs when they are at a station.

The crewmember is required for the a/c to be dispatched, therefore required for the entire flight. He/she isn't magically required at the 8 hr mark...

Yes, because the flight couldn't be dispatched in the first place without the dispatch release and that requires that the intended flight be in regulatory compliance. If they had to return and say they blew some tires and ran off the runway, then the feds get involved. If the aircraft didn't have enough pilots for the intended flight, I am pretty sure that the FAA would have an issue with this.

Don't chicken and egg this!;)

Interesting logic going on here. Why not log all passenger time too? After all, passenger airplanes wouldn't fly or even exist if if passengers weren't around. The ongoing debate over PIC time is not because the FAR's are unclear. It's because for some inexplicable reason most airlines won't accept civilian "sole manipulator" time as PIC time. But, they happily accept military First Pilot time, which is exactly the same thing.

It's because for some inexplicable reason most airlines won't accept civilian "sole manipulator" time as PIC time. But, they happily accept military First Pilot time, which is exactly the same thing.

:confused: Sounds like your experience w/ military FP time is a bit different than mine.
I logged quite a few FP hours in a single seat F-15A during my initial RTU training. I had a set of AF wings on, signed for the jet and mo' definitely was the PIC. I just wasn't a full-up mission ready F-15 pilot, so my time was logged as FP, not MP time in A-forms.

Latest resources

Back