Heard it all now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Timebuilder

Its true about Singapore and many other European and Asian airlines. A lot of the carriers have cadet programs where they basically take people from zero or low time, train them and put them on the line flying the heavy iron.

British Airways has the same type of programs as does Lufthansa. My FO was called for interviews at Alitalia and British Airways when he had less than 1000 hrs.

The mind set in Europe is different. They are very selective about who they hire and dont care about total time. The theory is that it is better to train someone from scratch to your standards than to hire someone with 10,000 hrs of ingrained bad habits.

If you can learn a foreign language and spend about 12k and a year abroad on your JAA licenses you may find it easier to get on with a foreign carrier.

The pay scale at some of these carriers especially the government owned union carriers is also outstanding and in some cases better than the US with MD-80 Captains making over $200,000 USD and MD-11 Captains over $400,000

www.pprune.com has info about the selection process at some of these airlines

25k hours

That does sound awfully high. I know guys that retired from United after 30 years that don't have that much time. Where do they get these guys and how good can an 80 year old guy be;)

25000 to sit left seat...............What a load of crap. They must be wadding up equipment left and right (or the owner is a cheap-a@@.

IMHO
AF

The owner is current long-time American, the chief pilot is retired Delta and the other captain is retired TWA. I'm just wondering what the defibrillator policy is.

Do they have AARP fuel discounts that I don't know about?

"The owner is current long-time American, the chief pilot is retired Delta and the other captain is retired TWA. I'm just wondering what the defibrillator policy is."

I'm pretty sure they needed 25,000 hours before they could fly PIC for their airlines, didn't they? Sounds like a load of you-know-what. I would say it's either a typo, or they just don't like you and it's a nice way of saying hit the road.

BTW, how much time do Air Force One PICs have? Or Bill Gates' pilots?

..."the mins are 1500 for PIC Jet with Simuflite and no mins for FOs"

Looks like I meet the FO mins. Where do I sign up?

Andy

I thought the same thing, that maybe it was a nice way to say see-ya. But I checked with another FO and he said that policy was correct (he had ~10k hours).

I'm sure it's monetary related via the insurance premium. By the way, have you ever flown corporate ops with a freshly retired airline pilot? It seems to be a pretty large learning curve to come back to the reality of flight planning, fuel planning, weather, filing, weight and balance and flying regs, among other things. No disrespect here, just my experience.

AARP

I once over heard this older guys talking in the locker room about insurance rates that they got from AARP, they went on on to say how they got screwed on insurance rates,.

may be the owners are getting their insurance from AARP bendover was here.

25,000 sounds a like just ploy to keep people a way .:rolleyes:

capt_zman said:
Was offered a position flying a BE400 today for a 91/135 company. When I inquired about upgrade, I was told that "due to insurance mins, we have a 25,000 hr requirement for PIC's."

Ok, I'm 32 and if I fly 1000 hours per year, I can upgrade when I'm 54. Geez, I must be special to land a winner like this.

What does this job pay? I have no problem with their requirements if they are paying accordingly. If they pay the usual 135 peanuts, either they are smoking crack or our profession is in worse shape than I thought. :)

8N

PS. I imagine that the PIC requirement is for street captains. It seems likely that the upgrade requirements are probably less once you've become a proven employee. Good Luck.

Last edited:
The owner is current long-time American, the chief pilot is retired Delta and the other captain is retired TWA. I'm just wondering what the defibrillator policy is.

It sounds to me like three retirees running a business. They plan on being the only captains in the company, and they probably get a huge insurance break by requiring so much time. Seems like an ideal way to retire if you ask me.

My question is unless you can fly the 91 legs, why would anyone want to be an SIC at a company where it is certain you will never sit in the left seat. (Then again, I am waiting to get called back to Eagle.)

Latest resources

Back