• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Headset thoughts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd recommend David Clark's over just about anything (with exception of a Bose set - but thats too much money to use just for training.)

I paid $300 for a David Clark 10-30 about 5 years ago, and I still wear it faithfully to this day when flying piston singles or twins. I highly recommend you get the gel ear cups for maximum comfort. The headsets been beaten around in airplanes, in the car, been dropped on ashpalt numerous times, and they still keep ticking just as well as when they first came out of the box. I have no doubt I'll still be using this headset 10 years from now.

And I agree that ANR is good ear protection, but my David Clarks don't let in that much noise. As long as you got a nice seal around your ears, the noise level is no different then other "everyday" noise that your exposed to.

Besides, if you buy an ANR set, you'll fly along half the time without the ANR anyways because your batteries will be dead.

I got my first pair of Dave Clark's 16 years ago and they are still my favorite headset. They new ones are a little different, but I am sure they are just as durable. I do have a couple other pairs now, but they were given to me from people that gave up flying. Dave Clark only ever sold me one pair and they were well worth the price.

As for an ANR, I got a pair of Bose in December. I am not real impressed and they are certainly not worth the money. They are worthless once the batteries go dead.

User997 said:
I highly recommend you get the gel ear cups for maximum comfort.

Sorry, but gotta disagree with you on that one. You need to give the Oregon Aero ear seals a try for maximum comfort. I had 2 gel seals rupture on me in one day, one just 2 takeoffs after purchase, and then I switched to the foam that came with the headset. I recently purchased most of the Oregon Aero upgrade kit for my David Clarks and it is the most comfortable headset I've worn. You can get just the ear seals for about twice the cost of a gel seal set and don't have to worry about a rupture.

As far as a headset suggestion, my David Clark H10-13.4 has been trouble free for about 5 1/2 years and about 5000 hours of use. Best thing to do is get suggestions from here, then go and try some on at the store. It's even better if you can demo some models while you fly, even if you have to pay a small fee. Usually, if you are going to have problems with a headset, it won't show until after 20min to 1 hour of continuous use (based on my experience).

hydroflyer said:
...I had 2 gel seals rupture on me in one day...

I too have experienced this... absolutely disgusting to have a slick goo squirting down your neck or in your ear.

I got a complete Oregon Aero upgrade kit for military DCs for $10 on ebay a while back, it had the sheepskin headpad, new foam for inside the earcups, and the big thick foam earseals... the only difference between the military and civvie version was the size of the mic muff, I just used the old one... that is definitely the most comfortable headset if I must use one the company provides.

ANR David Clark H10-13.4X can be had for 550 from Marv Golden. Bulletproof active noise reduction - mine goes from the glareshield to the floor at least once a day, never a hiccup.

It galls me to hear FOs say "What? I can't afford ANR." Completely ludicrous. What is your hearing worth? Put it on a card, finance the Bose, whatever. That ringing in your ears becomes permanent.

go with something with ANR a must if you do not want to have a hearing aid when your an old Before I got anr i did not think it made much difference Well now that I have anr i will never go back.
The lightspeed bulky but very comfortable and great price On their website you can get referb. for even less. Thats what i did and been great customer service and warranty.
The Bose are better but at a cost and if youre ears are big they will not jive with the bose.
I tried a bunch and went with the best bang for my buck the lightspeed.

Latest resources

Back