Headset thoughts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meyers9163

I'm looking to start my PPL in August through ATP Nationwide then the 90 day career pilot program in Janurary and was wondering what a good head set to train in would be, and maybe not only to train in but use later on down the road with the first job? Would it be worth it to invest into a nice set, just get a cheap one to traing and pay for a good one later? Any ideas welcome...

If you've got the money for an ANR headset, go ahead and get one, they're wonderful. It probably comes down to whatever you can afford at the time.

Get something that will protect your hearing well. After years of walking around jet engines, I'm worried about my long term hearing.

David Clarks=great quality and good customer service, passive @ $300
anr @ $6-700

lightspeed=great anr for the money, $350-$450

bose=best ga headset, if you can part with the grand, it is worth every penny.

You can't make a bad choice with any of these. I have used these and many others but I have been very satisfied with the above brands. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

If you've got the money, buy an ANR from the start. I kept telling myself I'll buy a nice headstet when I upgrade but I never did. There are also do-it-yourself ANR kits our there that might help cut down the cost.

Clarity Aloft headsets are lightweight, comfortable, and provide about the same db of passive noise attenuation that you get with an ANR.

I really enjoy my Avcomm headset. It is identical to the DC $300 except of one little feature that I found wasn't worth the extra $100.

The Bose is a lot easier to swallow with their 12-month no-interest plan. They charge you for your first payment, tax, and shipping when you order, and $82.92 for 11 months following that.

That was a lot easier than one big chunk for a Lightspeed.

I would recommend spending the money "up front" for a better quality headset. The durability and better manufacturer support of the higher end headsets make this the more economical move in the long run.

I will put in a plug for David Clark headsets here. I purchased an H10-30 model 27 years ago and it still works very well after hard use in a variety of aircraft types. It was sent back to the factory twice in that time for repair and on both occasions the turnaound time was short and the work done free of charge. Their customer support is simply unparalleled.

Waldom said:
I would recommend spending the money "up front" for a better quality headset. The durability and better manufacturer support of the higher end headsets make this the more economical move in the long run.

I will put in a plug for David Clark headsets here. I purchased an H10-30 model 27 years ago and it still works very well after hard use in a variety of aircraft types. It was sent back to the factory twice in that time for repair and on both occasions the turnaound time was short and the work done free of charge. Their customer support is simply unparalleled.
True, David Clark has the best customer service in the industry, without a doubt. I've pretty much put my DC's away, though, as indicated above. The only real problem I've had with them is the requirement for a slight "pocketknife" modification to the plugs to make them work in the early Citations, but given the choice, I'd give up the Citation :)

Fly safe!

David

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back